Home

Paul unable to attend to receive Wolf Prize

127 views

9 posts

Last post 15/05/2018

Posted by Nancy R

      Original post

      https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Culture/Paul-McCartney-to-skip-Wolf-Prize-ceremony-556049

      Is May 31st the LIPA graduation?

        From YouTube videos, looks like the LIPA graduation ceremony is held around the end of July every year, but Paul also does Master Classes, seminars and workshops with the students, usually the last part of May every year, so that may be what he has previously scheduled.   He was there a few weeks ago as well with the students, from what was posted on Instagram.

        In my opinion the graduation date would probably not  be announced publicly, and could be by invitation only.  If hundreds of McCartney/Beatles fans showed up, there wouldn't be room in the auditorium for the students' families and guests who have come to see the graduation.

        Paul leaving after  LIPA graduation & awards to students - July 28, 2017 -

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP4q18lMLY4

        Video of entire 2017 graduation ceremonies, with Paul present - (2 hours 45 minutes)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEb33u2MB_k (his moving speech begins at 2:19:00)

         

        Just before the ceremony begins, Paul is escorted to his seat on the stage, with the other school officials, to thunderous applause.   A while later, when each graduate is handed their diploma, he shakes their hand or gives them a hug, and then poses for a photo with each.  There must be a hundred or more graduates, so this takes a while, but it's wonderful he wants to take time to show appreciation for each student.   Towards the end of the evening, the McCartney prize/award is given to a particular student every year, and after that is presented, he gives a speech.   

         It's so wonderful of him to give his time to helping this place.  After seeing the graduation video, you can see that LIPA is a place that is dear to his heart, and brings back special memories for him.    It was the school he went to when he was a boy, and George Harrison went there as well.     But at this time it especially means a lot to him to just be able to see the students, and be a part of the organization, and take part in the graduation.  

          Thanks for the post and videos Leslie! 😃

            Nancy R wrote:

            Thanks for the post and videos Leslie! 😃

            You're  welcome!   Thought his speech at the graduation last year was very nice!

              I went to watch the 2nd (long) video and it says “site can’t be reached.” ☹️

                Nancy R wrote:

                I went to watch the 2nd (long) video and it says “site can’t be reached.” ☹️

                Just checked and it's still working fine on YouTube. 

                Will post it again.  Hope this link works!

                LIPA Graduation 2017 - Paul's speech is at 2:19:00 mark

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEb33u2MB_k

                  LadyLeslie wrote:

                  Nancy R wrote:

                  I went to watch the 2nd (long) video and it says “site can’t be reached.” ☹️

                  Just checked and it's still working fine on YouTube. 

                  Will post it again.  Hope this link works!

                  LIPA Graduation 2017 - Paul's speech is at 2:19:00 mark

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEb33u2MB_k

                  That worked! Just watched Paul give out his award and then his speech. He was so sweet and got a bit emotional there in the beginning. 

                    Nancy R wrote:

                    LadyLeslie wrote:
                    Nancy R wrote:

                    I went to watch the 2nd (long) video and it says “site can’t be reached.” ☹️

                    Just checked and it's still working fine on YouTube. 

                    Will post it again.  Hope this link works!

                    LIPA Graduation 2017 - Paul's speech is at 2:19:00 mark

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEb33u2MB_k

                    That worked! Just watched Paul give out his award and then his speech. He was so sweet and got a bit emotional there in the beginning. 

                    Glad the link worked, and that you were able to watch the speech he gave.  Yes, he did get a bit choked up at the beginning.  Thought he did wonderful!   You could tell that not only does that place brings back special memories for him, but he really wants to make a difference there, and help the students too! 

                      LadyLeslie wrote:

                      Nancy R wrote:
                      LadyLeslie wrote:
                      Nancy R wrote:

                      I went to watch the 2nd (long) video and it says “site can’t be reached.” ☹️

                      Just checked and it's still working fine on YouTube. 

                      Will post it again.  Hope this link works!

                      LIPA Graduation 2017 - Paul's speech is at 2:19:00 mark

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEb33u2MB_k

                      That worked! Just watched Paul give out his award and then his speech. He was so sweet and got a bit emotional there in the beginning. 

                      Glad the link worked, and that you were able to watch the speech he gave.  Yes, he did get a bit choked up at the beginning.  Thought he did wonderful!   You could tell that not only does that place brings back special memories for him, but he really wants to make a difference there, and help the students too! 

                      It amazed me that he did the whole speech from memory (or off the top of his head) Cracked me up when he said “Sorry Ringo!” since he was the only one who hadn’t attended there. Poor Ringo was so sick most of his childhood, he barely had any schooling!