Home

Learning to play bass guitar , though I'll never be as good as Paul!

3 posts

Last post 28/06/2018

Posted by HaileyMcComet

Original post

I've always loved the Beatles music and Pauls music and just started playing bass.  Started with happy birthday and working my way up to classic Beatles!

I'm sure there's a million tribute bands, but I'm just doing it for fun as a hobby right now:)

Yay 4 Paul and his Hoffner ignition "violin" bass (which is incorrectly nicknamed, as it matches a double bass shape with the curves, not the right angle violin.  )  Just seems funny as I look into these...Signed Paul McCartney "violin bass" 

Does anyone else find this mislabeling odd?

Cheers!

Leo Macdonald

Scientist

Leo, please, if you’re going to play bass, learn how to spell Hofner! 😂  And I assume you meant you started with the Beatles song “Birthday?” That’s a hard one! 

And, I don’t find the fact that they call it a “violin” bass odd or incorrect. It is shaped close enough to a violin for me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin

Calling it a violin bass makes more sense than calling it a bass bass.

If you're just starting out, Sting has some good bass parts that are very easy to hear.  Some of Paul's best work was mixed down on ancient equipment.