Home

What were they playing?

7 posts

Last post 15/03/2018

Posted by nobodytoldme

Original post

Who saw what? I saw a Fender P-Bass and a couple Ashdown 610 bass cabinets.

Rusty has had a Jazzmaster on MIA lately

Saw Rusty with an old Danelectro at the Carrier Dome last Saturday.

Saw the priceless Hofner.

We saw Paul in Brisbane 2017... finally, after waiting my whole life :) Anyway, I NEED to know what Wix (Paul Wickens) was playing.  It was some sort of wind synth he was blowing into.  We only got a quick glipse of it every now and then and I don't even know what to Google to find it :)

Any ideas??

Rita Lin wrote:

We saw Paul in Brisbane 2017... finally, after waiting my whole life :) Anyway, I NEED to know what Wix (Paul Wickens) was playing.  It was some sort of wind synth he was blowing into.  We only got a quick glipse of it every now and then and I don't even know what to Google to find it :)

Any ideas??

He demonstrates it in this clip, https://youtu.be/23Zy24AC6DE?t=1m38s (starting at 1:38), and uses it in, e.g., Lady Madonna for the sax sounds.  He says in the clip that it's a TEControl Breath Controller (MIDI I assume). 

Glad you Aussies finally got your long overdue visit!

Rita Lin wrote:

Any ideas??

https://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/wix-wickens-zen-and-the-art-of-multitasking

"As soon as the breath controller came out from Yamaha, the BC1, that was like another foot pedal for me. I used that to add brightness to things, or to try and play pretend wind instruments back in the day. I was a very early adopter of that and I’ve used it ever since. I use that in MainStage all for the sax sounds and I use it on the brass now to give it a bit of timbre to help the swells."