paulmccartney.com Forum Index
Login
Register
Search
FAQ
Website

THE NEXT DELUXE/REMASTERED ALBUM FROM PAUL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    paulmccartney.com Forum Index -> NOT SUCH A BAD BOY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B J Conlee
I'm Getting Closer

PostPosted: 04-19-2017 12:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier, I was very disappointed (and a big mistake i.m.h.o) that I didn't have a lower cost option for an audio only package that included all the potential extra songs (B-sides etc.) with a 3rd CD.

That being said, I was thrilled to be able to get Disc 2 on the low cost Special Edition. That was the real "silver lining" to the whole FITD Reissue mess in my opinion.

I would be interested in what others think of Disc 2 (Paul and Elvis earliest demos). Here are some of my brief track by track comments:

1. Lovers That Never Were - My personal favorite from Disc 2. Just love this song and I like both this demo and the finished album version on "Off the Ground". Love the rawness of Paul's vocals on the demo and the simplicity of the production with just Elvis on the piano and Paul on guitar. As one of the reviews said...why would Paul keep "Lovers" off FITD. To me, it is right there with My Brave Face and That Day is Done as the best of the collaborations. Could have propelled FITD into more of a masterpiece status (with that change and a couple more).

2. Tommy's Coming Home - Musically this song reminds me of Paul's "Two of Us" that he sung with John. Elvis has stated that while the song lyrics are definitely "unsentimental" it was Paul who surprisingly took it in that direction. Love this demo and I scratch my head that Paul didn't include it on either FITD or Off the Ground.

3. Twenty Fine Fingers - More than John and Paul, this song reminds me more of the Everly Brothers and early rockabilly standards like "Twenty Flight Rock". Paul must have felt it didn't fit on FITD. I was thrilled to have it now on a CD.

4. So Like Candy - Paul and Elvis's 2 part harmony of "Candy" definitely reminds me of early John and Paul. Seems like it was more Elvis's song as he took it on his "Mighty Like a Rose" album. Still love hearing Paul and Elvis sing it together.

5. You Want Her Too - Again, this song reminds you of the "yin and yang" of some of John and Paul songs. I like the rawness of the demo and the finished version of the album with the added production. I like Elvis's intro keyboards and the ending orchestration on FITD.

(to be continued)
B J Conlee
I'm Getting Closer

PostPosted: 04-19-2017 12:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued from my previous post

6. That Day is Done - Along with "The Lovers That Never Were" and "My Brave Face", That Day is Done is in my Top 3 in the Paul/Elvis collaborations. Again, like the rawness and simplicity of this demo which has a nice country/gospel feel. Love Paul's vocal on the album version. I found it interesting that Elvis mention how "That Day is Done" (especially in the chorus) had a feel of "Let It Be". As I have said, just wished Paul would have done this song "live" (along with Lover's That Never Were) on one of his Tours.

7. Don't Be Careless Love - The only Paul/Elvis song on FITD where I thought the demo was actually better than the finished FITD version. As I have said, I thought that Paul's solo vocal was sung too high and I found parts of the vocal "grating" at least to my ears. My least favorite of the 4 collaborative songs on FITD. I do like the demo a lot and showed me (in my opinion) that the finished version could have been done better. As an overall song and melody, I like "Lovers That Never Were" much better than "Careless" and would have much preferred "Lovers" on FITD given a choice.

8. My Brave Face - Love both this demo and the album version. The added production on the album version was perfect in my opinion but it's great to have this early, simpler version. Very Beatlesque and early British Invasion in style.

9. Playboy to a Man - Sounds right out of the Elvis and Attractions playbook. Not surprising that Elvis took it for his own subsequent album, "Mighty Like a Rose". Still it is great to hear Elvis and Paul singing it together.

As I said, Disc 2 was the real "silver lining" in the low cost option for me. Four of the songs were brand new to me and the others were great to hear in a full demo version. My only disappointment was that it is only a tad over 30 minutes. It would have been even greater if the Disc included 2-3 more demo tracks like Back on my Feet, Mistress and Maid, I Don't want to Confess etc.

But my big question that I continue to ask...Why wasn't all the extra songs (B-sides, Once Upon a Long Ago, live versions etc) available in an all-audio 3 CD package. I would have easily paid $30-$35 for that kind of set. I'm the perfect customer for Paul (not with an unlimited budget however) but his various price alternatives for a more "complete" reissue in a mid-price set were absent.
B J Conlee
I'm Getting Closer

PostPosted: 04-20-2017 04:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I should have put / asked for reactions to Disc 2 of FITD on a separate thread. Maybe we should have had a separate thread on the "2017 FITD Reissue/Remaster" anyway.

Don't seem to be getting much reaction which is strange when the FITD remaster is the latest album that Paul has released.
Nancy R
On A Strange Vacation

PostPosted: 04-20-2017 04:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like dissecting the songs in such detail like you do. I also don't like to write long posts. Others may feel the same way. Tomato
FedEx Forum, Memphis, TN May 26, 2013
Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA Oct. 15, 2014
Infinite Energy Center, Duluth, GA July 13, 2017
B J Conlee
I'm Getting Closer

PostPosted: 04-20-2017 06:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy R wrote:
I don't like dissecting the songs in such detail like you do. I also don't like to write long posts. Others may feel the same way. Tomato

I don't expect long answers but can't anyone give me an idea if they liked the demos on Disc 2 or not. Just pick one song if that is preferable.

That is why I was thinking that this topic/thread wasn't specific enough and people weren't reading a general thread on the next Remaster.

The other factor is that there aren't many people any more on Maccaboard. That's a shame.
wingsoverkc
All Over The Place

PostPosted: 04-20-2017 07:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't stop BJ! Love your analysis, even when I don't totally agree. Just not a Elvis Costello fan at all.

"This is for all the Wings fans!"
JoeySmith
With A Little Luck

PostPosted: 04-20-2017 10:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

B J Conlee wrote:
Looks like I should have put / asked for reactions to Disc 2 of FITD on a separate thread. Maybe we should have had a separate thread on the "2017 FITD Reissue/Remaster" anyway.

Don't seem to be getting much reaction which is strange when the FITD remaster is the latest album that Paul has released.

I agree with your analysis for the most part. As I've said before, Disc 2 is proof that Paul & Elvis should have released a full album together. Throw in 'Veronica' & a few of the choice cuts from 'Spike', 'Mighty like a Rose'. 'Flowers', & OTG and you would be looking at a classic today.
B J Conlee
I'm Getting Closer

PostPosted: 04-20-2017 11:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingsoverkc wrote:
Don't stop BJ! Love your analysis, even when I don't totally agree. Just not a Elvis Costello fan at all.

And there are different tastes and opinions not only on individual musicians but on individual songs/albums within Paul's Catalog . That's what makes discussions about Paul very interesting. Your opinions are always welcomed also.
B J Conlee
I'm Getting Closer

PostPosted: 04-20-2017 11:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeySmith wrote:
B J Conlee wrote:

I agree with your analysis for the most part. As I've said before, Disc 2 is proof that Paul & Elvis should have released a full album together. Throw in 'Veronica' & a few of the choice cuts from 'Spike', 'Mighty like a Rose'. 'Flowers', & OTG and you would be looking at a classic today.

I agree that a Paul/Elvis Duet Album could have been a big selling album at the time especially if you added Veronica and Back on My Feet (previously done on a Paul B-side). Hope you are, at least, enjoying Disc 2 like I am.

Like I said, it seems like there are less Paul music lovers on this site which is disappointing. I would have expected much more discussion on FITD. Just a few of us consistently responding.
Nancy R
On A Strange Vacation

PostPosted: 04-21-2017 01:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

B J Conlee wrote:
Nancy R wrote:

I don't expect long answers but can't anyone give me an idea if they liked the demos on Disc 2 or not. Just pick one song if that is preferable.

That is why I was thinking that this topic/thread wasn't specific enough and people weren't reading a general thread on the next Remaster.

The other factor is that there aren't many people any more on Maccaboard. That's a shame.

Yeah, right now I am the only registered user online. There are 51 other people online, but they aren't signed in. The highest # online most recently was 1749 people on 1/18/15.
love2travel
Whisper Words Of Wisdom

Location: Land of Love and Peace, Healing and Understanding, Let It Be in 2017 <3

PostPosted: 04-21-2017 02:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a vinyl deal anywhere? Would someone please tell me the deal for Best Buy? I would greatly appreciate it Very Happy
Nancy R
On A Strange Vacation

PostPosted: 04-21-2017 04:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

love2travel wrote:
Is there a vinyl deal anywhere? Would someone please tell me the deal for Best Buy? I would greatly appreciate it Very Happy

I did your work for you:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/flowers-in-the-dirt-special-edition-2lp-lp-vinyl/32530189.p?skuId=32530189
favoritething
A Peaceful Place

PostPosted: 04-21-2017 10:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

B J Conlee wrote:
JoeySmith wrote:
B J Conlee wrote:

I agree that a Paul/Elvis Duet Album could have been a big selling album at the time especially if you added Veronica and Back on My Feet (previously done on a Paul B-side). Hope you are, at least, enjoying Disc 2 like I am.

Like I said, it seems like there are less Paul music lovers on this site which is disappointing. I would have expected much more discussion on FITD. Just a few of us consistently responding.

I"ve been busy with work the last few days. I agree pretty much completely with your assessment of those demos. I was already familiar with almost all of these, since they were available "unofficially" for many years, but it is great to hear them sounding pristine, and with "Playboy To A Man" finally added.

If you had never heard these before, then the 2-CD set would certainly be a thrilling listen. Interesting that this disc of demos has one extra hidden track in the big boxed set, a Geoff Emerick mix of "The Lovers That Never Were" that is a bit more fleshed out. They must have been considering releasing these at some point, and Emerick took a stab at one track to see how it sounded.

For me, the jewel of the new box is Disc 3, the band demos of those same songs. I'm just blown away. It really is like "the album that never was" from Paul and Elvis.
B J Conlee
I'm Getting Closer

PostPosted: 04-21-2017 02:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

favoritething wrote:
B J Conlee wrote:
JoeySmith wrote:
B J Conlee wrote:

I"ve been busy with work the last few days. I agree pretty much completely with your assessment of those demos. I was already familiar with almost all of these, since they were available "unofficially" for many years, but it is great to hear them sounding pristine, and with "Playboy To A Man" finally added.

If you had never heard these before, then the 2-CD set would certainly be a thrilling listen. Interesting that this disc of demos has one extra hidden track in the big boxed set, a Geoff Emerick mix of "The Lovers That Never Were" that is a bit more fleshed out. They must have been considering releasing these at some point, and Emerick took a stab at one track to see how it sounded.

For me, the jewel of the new box is Disc 3, the band demos of those same songs. I'm just blown away. It really is like "the album that never was" from Paul and Elvis.

I was one of those who had never heard any of these demo songs on Disc 2 previously so the inexpensive 2 Disc Set was a great value for me. And 4 of the 9 tracks on Disc 2 were brand new songs for me.

Would love to hear the Geoff Emerick mix of "The Lovers That Never Were". As I have said, I think the biggest mistake upon the release of FITD was not having a great finished version of "Lovers" on the album. If it was really done well, it could have been the follow-up single at the time to My Brave Face. Such a great song and it could have driven higher sales in the US.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I keep hoping that (with the significant disappointment over the FITD Reissue) Capitol Records are having secret meetings about what went wrong. Again, I'm dreaming, but I wouldn't be shocked if they released a Post FITD alternative. You know what I'm hoping...a 3 CD Audio Set. They could add the band demos and/ or the Cassette demos that they currently have for the "Record Store" promotion. The real jewel in this "dream" Set for me would be a Disc 3 with all the B-sides and other additional tracks that you suggested in an earlier post.

I know that in the past, Paul has had post releases after the original albums...e.g. Off the Ground 2 CD Set long after the original Off the Ground or even a post release Disc for Memory Almost Full with 3 additional tracks.

Any chance of this "dream" taking place. Give me your odds.
Nancy R
On A Strange Vacation

PostPosted: 04-21-2017 04:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

0% chance. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    paulmccartney.com Forum Index -> NOT SUCH A BAD BOY All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next
Page 104 of 107

Jump to: