paulmccartney.com Forum Index
Login
Register
Search
FAQ
Website

Paul McCartney Sues Sony to Get Back Beatles Songs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    paulmccartney.com Forum Index -> THE BROADCAST
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyLeslie
On A Flaming Pie

PostPosted: 06-30-2017 01:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a settlement agreement has been reached between Paul and Sony/ATV

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/paul-mccartney-reaches-settlement-sony-atv-beatles-rights-dispute-1018100

Paul McCartney Reaches Settlement With Sony/ATV in Beatles Rights Dispute

Quote:
"The parties have resolved this matter by entering into a confidential settlement agreement and jointly request that the Court enter the enclosed proposed order dismissing the above-referenced action without prejudice," writes McCartney attorney Michael Jacobs in a Thursday letter to U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos.

The details of the deal are unclear, but the order specifies that the New York federal court will "enforce the terms of the parties’ Settlement Agreement, should a dispute arise."

Attorneys for both parties declined further comment on the settlement.
jimmix
Let Me Roll It To You

PostPosted: 06-30-2017 03:49 AM    Post subject: Paul McCartney Reaches Settlement With Sony/ATV Reply with quote

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/paul-mccartney-reaches-settlement-sony-atv-beatles-rights-dispute-1018100

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7850068/paul-mccartney-sony-atv-settlement-beatles-rights

Check the MPL website for those Northern Songs posted on that website.
Fan4-45years
Talking Perfectly Loud

PostPosted: 06-30-2017 01:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyLeslie wrote:

Quote:
"The parties have resolved this matter by entering into a confidential settlement agreement and jointly request that the Court enter the enclosed proposed order dismissing the above-referenced action without prejudice," writes McCartney attorney Michael Jacobs in a Thursday letter to U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos.

The details of the deal are unclear, but the order specifies that the New York federal court will "enforce the terms of the parties’ Settlement Agreement, should a dispute arise."

I just read this, Lady Leslie. So, inquiring minds may never know the particulars.
Cleveland, OH, Ringo's Rock Hall Induction, April 18, 2015
LadyLeslie
On A Flaming Pie

PostPosted: 06-30-2017 05:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan4-45years wrote:
LadyLeslie wrote:

Quote:

I just read this, Lady Leslie. So, inquiring minds may never know the particulars.

Since it's a confidential agreement, it's no doubt sealed... I think October of 2018 is when the copyrights can start reverting back to Paul, so hopefully Sony/ATV will honor the settlement agreement at that time.

I'm just glad for Paul that there is some kind of an understanding, because we'd hate for him not to get the rights back to his songs!
strbfields4ever
Shouting At The World

PostPosted: 07-03-2017 10:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulie does interviews from time to time so maybe some
journalist will ask him about the outcome and Paul might say a bit about it.
Hope so, I have watched this since **** James dumped on the Beatles, so I would like to know what's going on with the US Copyrights.
IF it did not go Paul's way, I would not hesitate to boycott Sony ATV

Driving USA Tour Staples May 4 2002
Driving USA Tour Arrowhead Pond May 5 2002
Back in the US Arrowhead Pond Oct 25 2002
The US Tour Arrowhead Pond Nov 11 2005
The US Tour Arrowhead Pond Nov 12 2005
LadyLeslie
On A Flaming Pie

PostPosted: 07-10-2017 04:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

strbfields4ever wrote:
Paulie does interviews from time to time so maybe some
journalist will ask him about the outcome and Paul might say a bit about it.
Hope so, I have watched this since **** James dumped on the Beatles, so I would like to know what's going on with the US Copyrights.
IF it did not go Paul's way, I would not hesitate to boycott Sony ATV

Here's a news item that may give more information. It's possible that after this ordeal with Paul and also Duran Duran that other musical artists may continue to withdraw their rights from Sony/ATV.

Paul McCartney: Now We Know Why Sony Music Publishing Settled So Fast– They’ve Lost Bruce Springsteen (in the UK)
by Roger Friedman - July 6, 2017 9:25 pm

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/07/06/paul-mccartney-now-we-know-why-sony-music-publishing-settled-so-fast-theyve-lost-bruce-springsteen

Quote:
UPDATED To say the least, last week’s announcement that Sony-ATV Music Publishing and Paul McCartney had settled over Paul’s portion of the rights to the Beatles songs in the US came as a huge surprise. In January, Paul had sued Sony saying he was taking back his copyrights as their terms lapsed. Sony balked, saying it was still looking at the situation. Sony had no intention of settling quickly, and was making Paul stew a bit in legal channels.

All of a sudden, last week, Sony caved. The announcement came from McCartney’s lawyer. Although their settlement is confidential, it’s likely similar to the one made by the John Lennon estate. Paul gets his rights back — the ones lost to Michael Jackson in 1985– on 251 Lennon & McCartney songs. In exchange, Sony -ATV gets to administer the rights and collect a fee.

But why settle so out of the blue? It turns out Sony-ATV has lost the rights to Bruce Springsteen’s music publishing in the UK. That huge and profitable catalog is going to Universal Music Publishing. Everything from “Because the Night” to “Fire” to “Born to Run” is in that package. So is “Blinded by the Light” and “Glory Days.” The very short, catchy Springsteen songs are worth a bloody fortune to publishers. (Springsteen’s publishing in the US was with Downtown Music publishing. That goes to Universal as well.)

Quote:
Universal Publishing no doubt paid top dollar for Springsteen. Sony was likely unable to match that money while holding on to Paul. In a sense, everyone won.
Apple Scruff
Talking Perfectly Loud

PostPosted: 07-11-2017 05:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks LadyLeslie for the article/quotes. Smile

It was confidential but I figured Paul won his rights because there is no way Paul would've settled. Knowing this piece of the puzzle makes a lot of sense. I am glad Paul got his rights back Very Happy It's funny, perfect timing was on Paul's side with this. It seemed a few months ago Sony/ATV were not going to budge, then they lose Springsteens' songs...timing really is everything sometimes, isn't it?

It said in the quote "Although their settlement is confidential, it’s likely similar to the one made by the John Lennon estate..." so John got the rights back years ago, but Paul didn't? I didn't know that, how is that possible since it's Lennon/McCartney songs? Maybe I am misunderstanding...anyone care to explain? thanks. Smile
LadyLeslie
On A Flaming Pie

PostPosted: 07-11-2017 05:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Scruff wrote:
thanks LadyLeslie for the article/quotes. Smile

It was confidential but I figured Paul won his rights because there is no way Paul would've settled. Knowing this piece of the puzzle makes a lot of sense. I am glad Paul got his rights back Very Happy It's funny, perfect timing was on Paul's side with this. It seemed a few months ago Sony/ATV were not going to budge, then they lose Springsteens' songs...timing really is everything sometimes, isn't it?

It said in the quote "Although their settlement is confidential, it’s likely similar to the one made by the John Lennon estate..." so John got the rights back years ago, but Paul didn't? I didn't know that, how is that possible since it's Lennon/McCartney songs? Maybe I am misunderstanding...anyone care to explain? thanks. Smile

You're welcome, AppleScruff! Smile I'm so glad everything worked out for Paul! I agree, I don't think he would have settled unless it was for a favorable reason.

Not sure when the agreement was made with the Lennon estate, maybe someone can help explain, but I'm glad his heirs were able to have that settled.
oobu24
In Another World

PostPosted: 07-11-2017 07:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's settlement has to do with his death. I guess rights come back to you sooner if you have passed.
LadyLeslie
On A Flaming Pie

PostPosted: 07-12-2017 01:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

oobu24 wrote:
John's settlement has to do with his death. I guess rights come back to you sooner if you have passed.

That makes sense. If John had lived, he'd have had to wait for his rights on the songs just like Paul has. Wonder how he would have felt about Michael Jackson buying the Beatles catalog...
Apple Scruff
Talking Perfectly Loud

PostPosted: 07-12-2017 04:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyLeslie wrote:
oobu24 wrote:

That makes sense. If John had lived, he'd have had to wait for his rights on the songs just like Paul has. Wonder how he would have felt about Michael Jackson buying the Beatles catalog...

thanks oobu24, for the explanation Smile
I agree with LadyLeslie, that makes sense. When I read that I immediately thought of something Paul said in an interview years ago (when he was complaining about Yoko having a problem with him changing the songwriting credits to McCartney/Lennon) he said something to the effect of 'I don't think it's fair for her to get upset, when she had been benefiting financially from those songs for years and had nothing to do with them' I didn't really understand what he meant, now, it makes more sense (no wonder Paul was annoyed!)
LadyLeslie
On A Flaming Pie

PostPosted: 07-12-2017 07:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Scruff wrote:
LadyLeslie wrote:
oobu24 wrote:

thanks oobu24, for the explanation Smile
I agree with LadyLeslie, that makes sense. When I read that I immediately thought of something Paul said in an interview years ago (when he was complaining about Yoko having a problem with him changing the songwriting credits to McCartney/Lennon) he said something to the effect of 'I don't think it's fair for her to get upset, when she had been benefiting financially from those songs for years and had nothing to do with them' I didn't really understand what he meant, now, it makes more sense (no wonder Paul was annoyed!)

Thanks, Apple Scruff! That makes things even more understandable.

Before reading the news item a few days ago, I was wondering how the Lennon estate was going to be affected by Paul's settlement with ATV/Sony, or if they'd have to file a separate lawsuit or something, but I'm glad there is a settlement so that everyone (including Paul!) has their rights back now Smile
strbfields4ever
Shouting At The World

PostPosted: 07-12-2017 07:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Leslie, thank you for the article you posted.
The suit Paul's team filed in January concerns US Copyright,
Not the U.K. Copyright as I understand it.
The UK copyrights to his work still do not belong to him.
The nightmare continues...
I must still be happy that Paul has won.

Driving USA Tour Staples May 4 2002
Driving USA Tour Arrowhead Pond May 5 2002
Back in the US Arrowhead Pond Oct 25 2002
The US Tour Arrowhead Pond Nov 11 2005
The US Tour Arrowhead Pond Nov 12 2005
LadyLeslie
On A Flaming Pie

PostPosted: 07-12-2017 09:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

strbfields4ever wrote:
Lady Leslie, thank you for the article you posted.
The suit Paul's team filed in January concerns US Copyright,
Not the U.K. Copyright as I understand it.
The UK copyrights to his work still do not belong to him.
The nightmare continues...
I must still be happy that Paul has won.

You're welcome, strbfields4ever Smile Sorry to hear he still doesn't have his UK copyrights, but at least he's won the first battle. I know eventually he'll get the other rights too! Smile We'll all have to send lots of positive thoughts that things will be successful on that front soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    paulmccartney.com Forum Index -> THE BROADCAST All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: