paulmccartney.com Forum Index
Login
Register
Search
FAQ
Website
   
What's More Unfortunate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    paulmccartney.com Forum Index -> ROCK SHOW
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bruce M.
I Can Wait Another Day


Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Posts: 3017
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 03:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never fear, I won't be taking up any seats that could go to fans who've never seen Paul before. I've seen him live 6 times and have no desire to see him as a shadow of his former self. And I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks he still has one of the all-time great voices is just dreaming. His musicianship is of course very much still there, but his vocal cords are pretty much shot. And yes, that's not shocking after 75 years, especially singing the way he does. At this point I'm happy to listen to to the records and remember past concert experiences.
_________________
"The only true patriotism, the only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time, loyalty to government when it deserves it."

--Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
B J Conlee
A Wonderful Sight


Joined: 22 Feb 2013
Posts: 1208
Location: Zephyrhills, FL

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 12:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce M. wrote:
Never fear, I won't be taking up any seats that could go to fans who've never seen Paul before. I've seen him live 6 times and have no desire to see him as a shadow of his former self. And I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks he still has one of the all-time great voices is just dreaming. His musicianship is of course very much still there, but his vocal cords are pretty much shot. And yes, that's not shocking after 75 years, especially singing the way he does. At this point I'm happy to listen to to the records and remember past concert experiences.

_________________________________________________
Pretty much sums it up for me too. For the 1st or 2nd timers it is a great experience and I'm very happy for them.

I just recently counted and I've seen the man 9 times since 1990. Living in Tampa, he was in my back yard on Monday night but I chose not to take up a seat for those "First timers". After all, this may be Paul's last full fledge Concert tour.

I agree with Bruce that Paul's voice is not a shadow of what it once was. Even in 2010 his voice seemed significantly better than now. But believe it or not, that wasn't the main reason I didn't go Monday night. To me it was all about this Setlist and lack of creativity in this year's show.

For a serious fan (as compared to a casual, 1st timer) this One on One Tour didn't excite me. I could however live with the fact that Paul is 75 and he struggles with his voice. I would gone for the man's history, the nostalgia factor and what he has given to me with his music, but the setlist really bothered me. Much of the problem for me was the duplication from previous tours on "non essential" songs. Overall, the latest shows have a real lack of creativity, spontaneity, and imagination for the hard core fan. From last night's Atlanta show, here are some examples:

*inferior Beatle choices...I Wanna Be Your Man, Birthday, In Spite of all the Danger, Mr. Kite etc. Instead true Beatle classics like Penny Lane, I Will, For No One,
Two of , Here There nd Everywhere, I'm Looking Through were missing. Those are great, great songs that he hasn't overplayed. More of those and I would have been attended the Tampa show.

*too much duplication in Solo song choices...Temporary Secretary, 4-5 Seconds, Hi-Hi Hi, New, Queenie Eye, Save Us, My Valentine etc. He has been playing these songs over the last 3 years. Give the hard core fans different Solo songs. And he has played Let Me Roll It at ever show/tour since 1976. Not "essential" songs within the Setlist. Just give us more variety from your extensive catalog.

*songs that highlight his vocal deficiencies...Maybe I'm Amazed, I've Got a Feeling, 4-5 Seconds. Yes I love MIA but to use a baseball analogy...it was like watching Willie Mays trying to play when he was 42 years old and way past his prime. Paul actually has a real advantage over aging athletes. He can choose songs that are more in his current range, where he can get more help from his Band and where the audience can help him.

*again "questionable" song choices and poor song sequencing ... the whole relevance thing in putting 4-5 Seconds and Temporary Secretary in the setlist is crazy and bogus for his 2017 audience. They are not attending for those songs. They don't even know them. The real relevance to seeing Macca in 2017 is Sgt. Pepper hitting the top of the Billboard album charts after 50 years. And what does he play...Mr. Kite and the one minute reprise title track. Why not Getting Better, Lovely Rita, and/or Day in the Life. Putting the Sgt. Pepper reprise in the encore and following it with Hi Hi Hi took all the wind out of the sails in the encore and made zero sense to me. Kill some of the songs I suggested above and give the serious fan a true "medley" of Sgt. Pepper. Certainly the 1st timers wouldn't have objected.

*not one song from his last Solo Reissue earlier this year...Flowers in the Dirt. One of his best Solo albums and it disappears from the 2017 setlist just like FITD disappeared from last year's Pure McCartney Compilation. I chose not to buy that compilation either.

Those were just some of the reasons a big time fan like me chose not to attend. I love the man but for God sake I wish someone very close to him would have given him some constructive criticism over this setlist. It just baffles me for the lack of imagination and creativity. I loved him in 1990, 1993, 2002, 2005 and even 2010 but this setlist pales in comparison for the "true" fans.

I watched some of the Duluth (Atlanta) show on Periscope. From strictly a Setlist point of view, it did little for me. Yes, I don't mind hearing the true signature songs again (with the exception of MIA) but the rest of the song selection overall is inferior relative to his great Catalog of Beatle and Solo songs. Again, I'm happy for the 1st timers and casual fans. The signature songs will delight the majority of the audience and he will have a succesful tour. I just keep thinking...how much better the 2017 show should be particularly for the "true" fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
love2travel
Whisper Words Of Wisdom


Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 15362
Location: Land of Love and Peace, Healing and Understanding, Let It Be in 2017 <3

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 01:57 PM    Post subject: Re: What's More Unfortunate? Reply with quote

MaccaBassman wrote:
Let's discuss both sides here... I have a very strong opinion that I'll share but I in no way intend to offend anyone or want to start an argument. Like everyone here I just want to share my opinion. I have made some of my closest friends through Paul fans and we can all agree that Paul fans are the nicest and best fans in the world. So let's keep that in mind...

So what is more unfortunate??

-The fact that Paul has for the most part stuck to a very similar setlist over the past few tours?

OR

-The fact that people continuously whine over the setlist/his voice?

MY WHOLE HEARTED OPINION: The facts are the facts. Paul McCartney is a 75 year old man who can still hit more notes than I'll say 98% of the people on this board. If you expect to go to a McCartney concert and hear him sound EXACTLY like he did with The Beatles or Wings then DON'T GO and don't complain. As for the setlist... Listen, I love eating at Wendy's from time to time after a long gig. I was so mad when they changed the fries years ago. Boy I'd love to have the old fries again. Did it make me complain on the Wendy's board? Did I stop going? NO! Because I love the burgers, because I love the fake-chicken (Sorry Paul and all Veg's). My point is this; NO ONE here is a fan of Paul's solely based on what he plays at his shows. We love Paul for who he is, what he has meant to all of us our entire lives, or for some new fans just recently. With John, George, Ringo, Wings, and his solo career, he has created a soundtrack for MILLIONS of lives. Not just for my life, and not just for yours. Does everyone have the right to voice their opinion just like I am right now, for the first time after years of keeping it to myself? ABSOLUTELY. But C'Mon People (ah thank you) how many tours have some of you now made the same comments about the set? Has it done anything? Not really. Did you still buy tickets for this tour? Of course you did because you're going for a lot more reasons than just a setlist. We're all DIEHARD fans of Paul and everything related to Paul. I think sometimes we have to just remember that we make up maybe 5-10% of the people at each of those shows. He may be making the set list for 90% of the people there, but we can all admit once we leave, 100% of the people are happy. Could he throw out some "never before played" stuff? Would it be INCREDIBLE to hear? YEAH!! Look at how many different songs we've all heard since our first tour? How many different songs is that? I bet A LOT! Let's be grateful for what we all have been given by Paul over the years and still today.

I'll end this as I'm sure the Birthday Boy would...
I share my feelings with all of you with the absolute most PEACE and LOVE!! Hope to see you all very soon, so we can continue to build more memories together as THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD!!!
Agree with post I have grumbled a bit, here and there... However I agree with what you are saying whole heartedly... Every PAUL concert that I've been to, has been one joyful, peaceful, loving moment on the planet...and when he does happen to spring a new song on us... I've been in the crowd hooting and screaming with happiness with my Fellow Paul McCartney fans... Woot Group hugs Whistle Group hugs Woot
_________________
Joy to the World - Peace on Earth - We are all ONE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apple Scruff
Talking Perfectly Loud


Joined: 04 Apr 2004
Posts: 5354
Location: day after day, alone on a hill

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 01:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

LetMeRollIt89 wrote:
Everytime I pick up a bass or get on a stage, I know who to thank.


love this line. Cool
_________________
"I think the world is a good place that is a bit screwed up by people and their actions" PAUL MCCARTNEY
~Sunday, July 7, 2013-Saw Paul live for the first time-A DREAM CAME TRUE, BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve
In The Audience


Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Posts: 254
Location: FLA USA

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 07:15 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen everybody, I get both sides of the argument. Yes, he has a matured voice, and he can't consistently hit the higher range anymore. But for me, it doesn't ruin or negate the experience of seeing him live. I'm so busy singing along at top volume I sometimes don't even notice.

In addition, I get in the "distortion reality bubble" at every concert, where I don't even notice the voice missteps until I listen to my recorded videos I am taking while there.... I think the adrenaline clouds the entire experience. It makes for a happier experience.

I for one, do not even care. I am still amazed by the artist and find it priceless to be in his company for a concert. I enjoy every single second.

I go, I pay my ticket and I know what I am getting. The thrill starts the second I hit the "BUY" button and continues for the weeks up to the concert.

Having said that, his lower register is still damn good, yet I also do wish he would modify the set list or even the key of the songs...

I only hope we continue to enjoy his music for a long time to come.
_________________
When you're wide awake,
Say it for goodness sake
It's gonna be a great day...


Last edited by Steve on 07-15-2017 12:39 AM; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
oobu24
In Another World


Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Posts: 50302

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 07:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Listen everybody, I get both sides of the argument. Yes, he has a matured voice, and he cant consistently hit the higher range anymore. But for me it doesn't ruin or negate the experience of seeing him live. I'm so busy singing along at top volume I sometimes don't even notice.

In addition, I get in the "distortion reality bubble" at every concert, where I don't even notice the voice missteps until I listen to my recorded videos I am taking while there.... I think the adrenaline distorts the entire experience. makes for a happier experience.

I for one, do not even care. I am still amazed by the artist and find it priceless to be in his company for a concert. I enjoy every single second.

I go, I pay my ticket and I know what I am getting. The thrill starts the second I hit the "BUY" button and continues for the weeks up to the concert.

Having said that, his lower register is still damn good, yet I also do wish he would modify the set list or even the key of the songs...

I only hope we continue to enjoy his music for a long time to come.

Agree with post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yankeefan7
Make This Journey Last


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 4100

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 08:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

B J Conlee wrote:
Bruce M. wrote:
Never fear, I won't be taking up any seats that could go to fans who've never seen Paul before. I've seen him live 6 times and have no desire to see him as a shadow of his former self. And I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks he still has one of the all-time great voices is just dreaming. His musicianship is of course very much still there, but his vocal cords are pretty much shot. And yes, that's not shocking after 75 years, especially singing the way he does. At this point I'm happy to listen to to the records and remember past concert experiences.

_________________________________________________
Pretty much sums it up for me too. For the 1st or 2nd timers it is a great experience and I'm very happy for them.

I just recently counted and I've seen the man 9 times since 1990. Living in Tampa, he was in my back yard on Monday night but I chose not to take up a seat for those "First timers". After all, this may be Paul's last full fledge Concert tour.

I agree with Bruce that Paul's voice is not a shadow of what it once was. Even in 2010 his voice seemed significantly better than now. But believe it or not, that wasn't the main reason I didn't go Monday night. To me it was all about this Setlist and lack of creativity in this year's show.

For a serious fan (as compared to a casual, 1st timer) this One on One Tour didn't excite me. I could however live with the fact that Paul is 75 and he struggles with his voice. I would gone for the man's history, the nostalgia factor and what he has given to me with his music, but the setlist really bothered me. Much of the problem for me was the duplication from previous tours on "non essential" songs. Overall, the latest shows have a real lack of creativity, spontaneity, and imagination for the hard core fan. From last night's Atlanta show, here are some examples:

*inferior Beatle choices...I Wanna Be Your Man, Birthday, In Spite of all the Danger, Mr. Kite etc. Instead true Beatle classics like Penny Lane, I Will, For No One,
Two of , Here There nd Everywhere, I'm Looking Through were missing. Those are great, great songs that he hasn't overplayed. More of those and I would have been attended the Tampa show.

*too much duplication in Solo song choices...Temporary Secretary, 4-5 Seconds, Hi-Hi Hi, New, Queenie Eye, Save Us, My Valentine etc. He has been playing these songs over the last 3 years. Give the hard core fans different Solo songs. And he has played Let Me Roll It at ever show/tour since 1976. Not "essential" songs within the Setlist. Just give us more variety from your extensive catalog.

*songs that highlight his vocal deficiencies...Maybe I'm Amazed, I've Got a Feeling, 4-5 Seconds. Yes I love MIA but to use a baseball analogy...it was like watching Willie Mays trying to play when he was 42 years old and way past his prime. Paul actually has a real advantage over aging athletes. He can choose songs that are more in his current range, where he can get more help from his Band and where the audience can help him.

*again "questionable" song choices and poor song sequencing ... the whole relevance thing in putting 4-5 Seconds and Temporary Secretary in the setlist is crazy and bogus for his 2017 audience. They are not attending for those songs. They don't even know them. The real relevance to seeing Macca in 2017 is Sgt. Pepper hitting the top of the Billboard album charts after 50 years. And what does he play...Mr. Kite and the one minute reprise title track. Why not Getting Better, Lovely Rita, and/or Day in the Life. Putting the Sgt. Pepper reprise in the encore and following it with Hi Hi Hi took all the wind out of the sails in the encore and made zero sense to me. Kill some of the songs I suggested above and give the serious fan a true "medley" of Sgt. Pepper. Certainly the 1st timers wouldn't have objected.

*not one song from his last Solo Reissue earlier this year...Flowers in the Dirt. One of his best Solo albums and it disappears from the 2017 setlist just like FITD disappeared from last year's Pure McCartney Compilation. I chose not to buy that compilation either.

Those were just some of the reasons a big time fan like me chose not to attend. I love the man but for God sake I wish someone very close to him would have given him some constructive criticism over this setlist. It just baffles me for the lack of imagination and creativity. I loved him in 1990, 1993, 2002, 2005 and even 2010 but this setlist pales in comparison for the "true" fans.

I watched some of the Duluth (Atlanta) show on Periscope. From strictly a Setlist point of view, it did little for me. Yes, I don't mind hearing the true signature songs again (with the exception of MIA) but the rest of the song selection overall is inferior relative to his great Catalog of Beatle and Solo songs. Again, I'm happy for the 1st timers and casual fans. The signature songs will delight the majority of the audience and he will have a succesful tour. I just keep thinking...how much better the 2017 show should be particularly for the "true" fans.


See PM.
_________________
Maybe I'm amazed !!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LetMeRollIt89
On A Flaming Pie


Joined: 11 Nov 2012
Posts: 711
Location: Tinley Park, IL

PostPosted: 07-14-2017 10:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
I go, I pay my ticket and I know what I am getting. The thrill starts the second I hit the "BUY" button and continues for the weeks up to the concert.


Every time! Agree with post Rock on
_________________
"And your inspiration long may it last..."

7/26/17 - Tinley Park
7/25/17 - Tinley Park
8/14/14 - San Francisco
7/9/14 - Chicago
7/16/13 - Milwaukee
7/14/13 - Indianapolis
5/26/13 - Memphis
11/11/12 - St. Louis
7/31/11 - Chicago
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HaileyMcComet
I Can Wait Another Day


Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 3483
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: 07-17-2017 01:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce M. wrote:
And I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks he still has one of the all-time great voices is just dreaming.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

That argument would have worked 20 or 30 years ago when singers were required to sing, but have you heard some of today's top selling voices without autotune?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
love2travel
Whisper Words Of Wisdom


Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 15362
Location: Land of Love and Peace, Healing and Understanding, Let It Be in 2017 <3

PostPosted: 07-21-2017 03:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's means a lot that I am hearing Paul singing the songs, and not some cover band.


The people I'm seeing at the shows are feeling the same way, I hear it over and over. He's still filling stadiums. That's a lot of happy people!!! Rock on Guitar Woot Whistle Group hugs Group hugs In love I would go to a lot more show, if I had the time and money...because it makes me very happy to hear Paul play and sing the songs!!!
_________________
Joy to the World - Peace on Earth - We are all ONE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bruce M.
I Can Wait Another Day


Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Posts: 3017
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: 07-21-2017 03:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that his concert set lists generally ignore the reissues is another puzzle. There are certainly FITD songs he could handle with his current voice -- far better than a really challenging tune like Maybe I'm Amazed. I think some fans would get a kick out of hearing My Brave Face again.
_________________
"The only true patriotism, the only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time, loyalty to government when it deserves it."

--Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
B J Conlee
A Wonderful Sight


Joined: 22 Feb 2013
Posts: 1208
Location: Zephyrhills, FL

PostPosted: 07-21-2017 10:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce M. wrote:
The fact that his concert set lists generally ignore the reissues is another puzzle. There are certainly FITD songs he could handle with his current voice -- far better than a really challenging tune like Maybe I'm Amazed. I think some fans would get a kick out of hearing My Brave Face again.

__________________________________________________________
Bruce,
Heard My Brave Face yesterday on the Sirius Beatles channel and it sounded fantastic.

Everything about his current setlist is a puzzle. The 5oth Anniversary for Sgt. Pepper and he plays Mr. Kite and the 1 minute reprise of the title track. In 2002 he played Getting Better and She's Leaving Home. Later in 2009-2010 he played Day in the Life followed by Give Peace a Chance which went over real well. He played Lovely Rita a few years ago which I have never heard live. Hell, play When I'm 64 that he has never done live. The boomer crowd would eat it up and it would save on his voice just like Love Me Do does. It would be a fun, never done tune. And he doesn't even bring back Penny Lane!! I would much rather hear those songs any day over some of the non-essential Beatle/Solo choices he is playing. It just baffles me.

Sadly, this setlist doesn't change... not because the 2017 Setlist is "so great". Hardly... the 2002, 2005 and 2009-10 tours was so much better in my opinion. It doesn't change because Paul (and his advisors) don't have to change it. No extra work/expense has to be done; he is guaranteed full houses mainly because of nostalgia/bucket list reasons. Very little thought given to the hard core, serious fans who have been buying all his Solo releases over all these years. I'm way too much of a blue collar guy not to get better "value" for the prices being charged. I'm not bitter and I'm very happy for the first timers. I'm a huge, huge fan but it is all about the "music" to me. I don't want to hear the same songs (some of them really inferior choices) over the last 3 years.

As you mentioned, what a breadth of "freshness" on this US leg if he would have played something to celebrate the reissue of FITD.. Adding My Brave Face, This One and Put It There alone and I would have seen the "great one" one more time for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
forget 64
With A Little Luck


Joined: 01 Dec 2005
Posts: 1809
Location: New York City

PostPosted: 07-21-2017 01:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I heard A Day In The Life Give Peace a chance was at Anfield in 2008, I loved it, does anyone know if he played it before that concert?
_________________
7/12/13 Wash. D.C., MET PAUL!!!

7/14/14 Lincoln Nebraska ... MET PAUL!!!

5/5/16 Minneapolis...MET PAUL!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nobodytoldme
I Can Wait Another Day


Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Posts: 3108
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: 07-21-2017 02:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget 64 wrote:
The first time I heard A Day In The Life Give Peace a chance was at Anfield in 2008, I loved it, does anyone know if he played it before that concert?

Nope, debut, a shock surprise debut, one of the handful in the last 10 years. Someone now will post he did do 'Give Peace A Chance' before.
_________________
2009 NYC (w/ Ringo) + Arnhem
2010 Dublin
2011 Bologna + Cologne
2012 R'dam + Antwerp
2015 L'pool + A'dam x 2
2016 Vancouver
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.D. Stevens
In The Audience


Joined: 16 Feb 2013
Posts: 288
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: 07-21-2017 03:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobodytoldme wrote:
forget 64 wrote:
The first time I heard A Day In The Life Give Peace a chance was at Anfield in 2008, I loved it, does anyone know if he played it before that concert?

Nope, debut, a shock surprise debut, one of the handful in the last 10 years. Someone now will post he did do 'Give Peace A Chance' before.

Well, he did do it as part of the John Lennon medley at that Liverpool concert in the 90s. Sorry, you did say it was going to happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    paulmccartney.com Forum Index -> ROCK SHOW All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


©2007 PaulMcCartney.com All Rights Reserved | Templating ©2007 HighlandFox.com | Powered by phpBB ©2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Site Hosted By: devstars.com


Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations: 264259