Home

Why do meat eaters get a hard time on here?

30 posts

Last post 17/10/2012

Pages

Original post

I like the chicken and the odd steak with lashings of onions, I'm not to keen on succulent lamb tho, i'll leave that to the journalists who followed the SDM bandwagon into oblivion

Back to the question in hand, I don't have a go at anyone who eats rabbit food, each to their own now leave me alone

Macsback:I like the chicken and the odd steak with lashings of onions, I'm not to keen on succulent lamb tho, i'll leave that to the journalists who followed the SDM bandwagon into oblivion

Back to the question in hand, I don't have a go at anyone who eats rabbit food, each to their own now leave me alone

Happy to.

femaleanimal:

Macsback:I like the chicken and the odd steak with lashings of onions, I'm not to keen on succulent lamb tho, i'll leave that to the journalists who followed the SDM bandwagon into oblivion

Happy to.

yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssss no more sarky comments woo hoo happy dayz

I've seen flexitarians getting a hard time here too. funny that. self-righteous no matter its source is the most destructive and negative of any human emotion.

Everyone has their own right to do what they want, follow religion; eat meat; support a team whatever and aslong as its not hurting anyone who cares?
              Its people who try to ram their own beliefs down other peoples throats that are the worst!

CMackbird:Everyone has their own right to do what they want, follow religion; eat meat; support a team whatever and as long as its not hurting anyone who cares?
                Its people who try to ram their own beliefs down other peoples throats that are the worst!

Linda McCartney did that quite a bit, didn't she? She got very intolerant of all her non-veggie friends very soon after going veggie herself in '79, and did try to ram her beliefs down others' throats with the full weight of the McCartney business machine. Right?

I'd like to eat less meat. We started to cut down a couple of years ago but have lapsed seriously since we started having kids.

a lot of people, once they follow a type of devotion often become a bit more extreme with it in the begining stages. I've seen this with people into a religion as well as veggies. One girl who was the same age as me when she went veggie, our very early 20s, said she was going to pretend she never ate meat as she didn't like to think of herself then.

I didn't get that. I told her she was deceiving herself and the truth about who she was. I prefered to think of it as the way I had been and now this was what I had become because. (and now I'm not even a full veggie anymore but I still get my friends to think about and consider a meatless meal and they always respond by wanting to see my alien exotic food)

I remember reading i think in the late 90s that a study was done on the influence a vegetarian can have on the non-veggies around them. The study concluded that more people responded by watching veggies live their day to day lives and noting the improvements rather then being preached at by anybody.

I guess that works for me as well. My skin care regiem up until a few weeks ago was totally vegan for the past 25 years. I get people coming up to me all the time saying, "Your skin, hair and eyes are so pretty. What do you use on them? Will you tell me?" and I point to the stuff I use and they usually try it and make comments that my skin is looking nicer every day (It usually does). That gets them to try something new.

I get them to eat seaweek when I explain that is one of the things that's responsable for my hair color.

Okay, I`ll bite. Again. When meat-eaters come to this particular forum, it`s almost invariably to try to wind people up with threads entitled "I Love Meat" or something equally intelligent. This is, in fact, a forum intended to discuss vegetarianism, animal rights and environmental issues. So, coming here and declaring your love of flesh-eating is actually trolling. It`s rather like the time the whole board was invaded by Bush fans.
                      Intelligent discussions are welcome, but they don`t usually happen. More often it is meat-eaters coming here to give salad-crunchers a hard time. Meat-eaters can be extremely intolerant.

This part of the forum is for vegetarian issues (which incidentally, includes more then just vegetarians. Non veggies are effected by, need to discuss and learn about vegetarian issues too). the rest of the forum is devoted to other topics.
                        I've had too many self-riteous ones here claim their morales were superior to mine because they didn't believe in killing animals. In fact, they even claimed their reasons for being an ethical vegetarian where superior to mine for being an environmental one.
                        (remember what I said about self-riteousness?)

I remember getting in to a disagreement with one fellow boardee on something about Paul's music or something in a non-veggie thread and she made fun of me saying, "What are you eating? " She was telling me that meat eating made me not see things her way. (I didn't bother to run to the mods with that and let the stupidity of her statement speak for itself).

and not just vegetarians crunch on salads. every ominvore in my family eats veggies. lots of them.

Not all meat-eaters wanting to discuss their issues are trolling. Many just get attacked and naturally become defensive.
                        Hunting is another issue. I personally don't practice it and really don't care for it, but I'm not going to stop another from doing what he or she desires as long as it's not effecting me and they are being reasonable and responsable.

Incidentally, the same morale arguments some veggies give for imposing their lifestyles on everyone is the same arguements some have used for denying me my right to practice birth control. (forcing a certain definition of 'sanctity of life' on others while the possible benefits of the opposing view are steadfastedly denied completely. Both groups have even employed terrorists in their causes) When I figured that one out is when I really started to back away from the movement.

The big thing for me was the 'pets are slaves' crowd I knew. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. They were what my ex-husband called, "Animal rights people who hate animals."

femaleanimal:Okay, I`ll bite. Again. When meat-eaters come to this particular forum, it`s almost invariably to try to wind people up with threads entitled "I Love Meat" or something equally intelligent. This is, in fact, a forum intended to discuss vegetarianism, animal rights and environmental issues. So, coming here and declaring your love of flesh-eating is actually trolling. It`s rather like the time the whole board was invaded by Bush fans.
                          Intelligent discussions are welcome, but they don`t usually happen. More often it is meat-eaters coming here to give salad-crunchers a hard time. Meat-eaters can be extremely intolerant.

they have animal culls all over the globe to save certain environments, you didn't need to come back on this thread, after all you practically said you wouldn't follow me around, so who is at the wind-up here? yup you got it in one..its you!!! oh!! I accused someone of trolling not so long ago, I was told it wasn't my place to do so, please keep that in mind when you make personal attacks on people, i'm glad others seen fit to put you in you're place on this matter.

Kathryn O:This part of the forum is for vegetarian issues (which incidentally, includes more then just vegetarians. Non veggies are effected by, need to discuss and learn about vegetarian issues too). the rest of the forum is devoted to other topics.
                            I've had too many self-riteous ones here claim their morales were superior to mine because they didn't believe in killing animals. In fact, they even claimed their reasons for being an ethical vegetarian where superior to mine for being an environmental one.
                            (remember what I said about self-riteousness?)

I remember getting in to a disagreement with one fellow boardee on something about Paul's music or something in a non-veggie thread and she made fun of me saying, "What are you eating? " She was telling me that meat eating made me not see things her way. (I didn't bother to run to the mods with that and let the stupidity of her statement speak for itself).

and not just vegetarians crunch on salads. every ominvore in my family eats veggies. lots of them.

Not all meat-eaters wanting to discuss their issues are trolling. Many just get attacked and naturally become defensive.
                            Hunting is another issue. I personally don't practice it and really don't care for it, but I'm not going to stop another from doing what he or she desires as long as it's not effecting me and they are being reasonable and responsable.

Incidentally, the same morale arguments some veggies give for imposing their lifestyles on everyone is the same arguements some have used for denying me my right to practice birth control. (forcing a certain definition of 'sanctity of life' on others while the possible benefits of the opposing view are steadfastedly denied completely. Both groups have even employed terrorists in their causes) When I figured that one out is when I really started to back away from the movement.

The big thing for me was the 'pets are slaves' crowd I knew. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. They were what my ex-husband called, "Animal rights people who hate animals."

thank you Kathryn, Illwobble & Cmacks, the other poster obviously has issues, its a shame she felt the need to ruin something out of nothing..

illwobble:

CMackbird:Everyone has their own right to do what they want, follow religion; eat meat; support a team whatever and as long as its not hurting anyone who cares?

Linda McCartney did that quite a bit, didn't she? She got very intolerant of all her non-veggie friends very soon after going veggie herself in '79, and did try to ram her beliefs down others' throats with the full weight of the McCartney business machine. Right?

I'd like to eat less meat. We started to cut down a couple of years ago but have lapsed seriously since we started having kids.

its a case of we eat what we can afford.

I like eating meet but i also like non meet food as well, every Monday i have a large vegetable stir fry that i make myself and i love it.

I could never be a vegetarian as i love both types of food but i dont care if other people are that is their choice.

I dont understand what all the fuss is about, as long as people are not trying to change me i dont care what they do!

Boggle:I like eating meet but i also like non meet food as well, every Monday i have a large vegetable stir fry that i make myself and i love it.

I could never be a vegetarian as i love both types of food but i dont care if other people are that is their choice.

I dont understand what all the fuss is about, as long as people are not trying to change me i dont care what they do!

Nicely put Boggle, only one person causing a fuss, she's got previous, i wouldn't bother about her. I like the odd stir fry and salads in the summer (if we get one) lol at the end of the day food is food, I did try one of those pre-packed veggie meals once, it wasn't for me.. at least i tried.

I am a vegetarian, but not because Paul and Linda said to Go Veggie. I did it because my doctor told me that is what my body needed due to some serious health issues. You will do it if you are told what I was told.

I could never be a vegan because I love dairy too much.

I try not to preach to people, but it's very difficult when I visit my sister's farm and see the dead hogs waiting to be picked up.

I understand about seeing the dead carcasses.

What I don't get is meat eaters who don't want to see or know about it. I always felt, "If you can't handle it, it's not for you."

I myself don't always have a problem with it like I used to when I was a kid and peaked at the Amish men butchering up the hogs. I'd love to tell that chicken hawk Nugent that some of us who don't eat meat at times don't have a problem with the blood and guts...I just know what my body can handle to eat and what it can't.
                                      I do encourage others to explore the same.

Mod Post
                                        The choice of dietary lifestyle of many members here have indeed been influenced by the campaigning of our host, Paul.

Some years ago Paul supported aggressive campaigning using his pre-show period to show a film highlighting some of the more unpleasant aspects of the meat industry. The film was not welcomed by all his concert fans.

And over the years of the message board's existance some strong debates have been hosted here with anti-meat industry fans mirroring Paul's own campaigns.

Whatever the strength of his own present personal convictions he has now moderated that position and supports the International Meat-Free Monday campaign encouraging meat eaters to try one day a week without meat - the case for that, which includes reducing harmful enviromental gases is made here:

http://www.meatfreemondays.com/

Whilst both viewpoints have their extremist supporters in a battle of words, and otherwise, that can be seen as irresolvable, there does exist room for reasoned debate without name calling and rhetoric.

Starting a topic lauding the enjoyment of particular meat products in this forum which is devoted to:

Forum description:COSMICALLY CONSCIOUS
                                        Discuss vegetarianism (including recipes), animal rights and environmental issues...

might be viewed as inflammatory and/or confrontational.

If this topic is to continue, debate should be considered, tactful and open-minded.

Thank you.

Martin

The culling of certain animals is deemed as environmentally friendly, right or wrong it happens in order to save land or for other species to survive.

Rats are vermin, they are also animals, I've never heard anyone come out and say,,, heyyyyyyy lets save the Rats!! its not their fault they carry all those diseases. Why does man spend millions by trying to eradicate them? more to the point where are all the campaigners who sign up to save the seals when it comes to Rats?

Would I eat a Rat? if i was hungry i would, unfortunately millions of people across the globe haven't got a choice when it comes to their daily diet, they eat off the land or kill an endangered species in order to survive.

Its ok for us to sit in our comfy homes saying, hey!! lets save the Crocodile today, while a Mother living in a mud hut is grieving because some Croc has just devoured her child, the Question is, if we had animal such as Lions, Crocs, Tigers etc roaming our city streets, man would kill them, much the same way he is killing them in their natural habitat.

Macsback, you get into the overpoplation problem there. (The reason I'm not a breeder. some of us have to make that sacrafice for the good of the globe). Those areas of the world are heavily overpopulated with ideas like family planning, birth control all heavily taboo. plus the whole entire issue of how can these people earn a living too with their limited resources.

Interesting how those ideas can get intertwined with animal rights.

Pages