Home

Summers Day Song and One Of these Days....

1421 views

20 posts

Last post 31/08/2019

Posted by Bogey Wobble

      Original post

      Cracking songs. Unheard of, and vastly under rated.

        2 of my all time favourites.

          vastly vastly vastly underrated....love these gems....always have

            Just more reasons why McCartney II is such a cool album.

            I'd love to hear "One of These Days" live.

              one of these days is a classic and one of his greatest post-beatles ballads.

                I love both songs but One Of These Days gets my vote by a whisker. 

                 

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP6q1WHNTxo

                  "One of These Days" is the only song on McCartney II I really like. "Summer's Day Song"  -- meh.

                    Bruce M. wrote:

                    "One of These Days" is the only song on McCartney II I really like. "Summer's Day Song"  -- meh.

                    I couldn’t sing a line of either one if you held a gun to my head. McCartney II is one of my least favorite albums of Paul’s. I even like Press To Play more! 😂

                      Nancy R wrote:

                      I couldn’t sing a line of either one if you held a gun to my head. 

                      You just need some practice, Nancy? Here's 'One Of These Days'.....with lyrics.  

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovWJWlwTnw

                       

                      And here's Summer's Day Song.

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rnrtHoSms

                       

                        I'd pick Temporary Secretary from that album.

                          Kestrel wrote:

                          Nancy R wrote:

                          I couldn’t sing a line of either one if you held a gun to my head. 

                          You just need some practice, Nancy? Here's 'One Of These Days'.....with lyrics.  

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yovWJWlwTnw

                           

                          And here's Summer's Day Song.

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rnrtHoSms

                           

                          Both nice songs. The 2nd one sounds like a church hymn. 

                            Nancy R wrote:

                            Both nice songs. The 2nd one sounds like a church hymn. 

                            Yes. it a does abit. And also SDS is like a lullaby as that YouTube user described it. I've always felt that had it been recorded ten years earlier,and in an edited form,then it would have fitted nicely into the Abbey Road medley,sitting along side Golden Slumbers.

                              oobu24 wrote:

                              I'd pick Temporary Secretary from that album.

                              ....and Coming Up is another quirky good song, and Waterfalls is a lovely ballad, and On The Way is another really good track. So along with One Of These Days and Summer's Day Song, you have half a dozen classic tracks on an album that tends to get unfairly overlooked. Certain albums by Paul seem to get tainted with a reputation for being 'difficult' and yet when you start listening to the individual tracks,it becomes apparent that they actually belong to an album that is pretty good.

                                Love all the songs on the McCartney II Album, but one musical extract I really like has to be "Sunday in the Front Parlour" - it's instrumental only, but has a great sound

                                  Nancy R wrote:

                                  Bruce M. wrote:

                                  "One of These Days" is the only song on McCartney II I really like. "Summer's Day Song"  -- meh.

                                  I couldn’t sing a line of either one if you held a gun to my head. McCartney II is one of my least favorite albums of Paul’s. I even like Press To Play more! 😂

                                  "Waterfals" is quite good.  Once I heard "Temporary Secretary" for the first time....I stopped the album then and there,  and never went back....until the re-issue.  It was better than I remembered it.  I don't get the intense dislike of "Press To Play" on the forum.  I rather liked it.  Thought songs recorded at the session and not included on the album should have been...., one being"Write Away."  

                                    Beatles4Ever&Ever wrote:

                                    Nancy R wrote:
                                    Bruce M. wrote:

                                    "One of These Days" is the only song on McCartney II I really like. "Summer's Day Song"  -- meh.

                                    I couldn’t sing a line of either one if you held a gun to my head. McCartney II is one of my least favorite albums of Paul’s. I even like Press To Play more! 😂

                                    "Waterfals" is quite good.  Once I heard "Temporary Secretary" for the first time....I stopped the album then and there,  and never went back....until the re-issue.  It was better than I remembered it.  I don't get the intense dislike of "Press To Play" on the forum.  I rather liked it.  Thought songs recorded at the session and not included on the album should have been...., one being"Write Away."  

                                    Beatles4ever,

                                    I couldn't agree more on Press to Play.  I have often said on this forem that I think Press to Play is Paul's most underrated Solo album.  I had 2 of the album's songs on the recent "Best Paul Solo Songs" thread....Footprints and Only Love Remains.  But there are other really good songs as well.  Besides "Write Away" that you mention, I also really like Stranglehold, Good Times Coming, Move Over Busker, It's Not True, Tough on a Tightrope etc.  And don't forget that Press to Play Sessions had one of Paul's all time unreleased songs...Yvonne.  Hope that someday Press to Play gets the full Deluxe treatment.  That would be a good one.

                                      Kestrel wrote:

                                      oobu24 wrote:

                                      I'd pick Temporary Secretary from that album.

                                      ....and Coming Up is another quirky good song, and Waterfalls is a lovely ballad, and On The Way is another really good track. So along with One Of These Days and Summer's Day Song, you have half a dozen classic tracks on an album that tends to get unfairly overlooked. Certain albums by Paul seem to get tainted with a reputation for being 'difficult' and yet when you start listening to the individual tracks,it becomes apparent that they actually belong to an album that is pretty good.

                                      His least popular albums are usually his best. That will change over time. Just as Ram was hated for years and is now universally loved, McCartney II will get the respect it deserves someday.

                                        Beatles4Ever&Ever wrote:

                                        Nancy R wrote:
                                        Bruce M. wrote:

                                        "One of These Days" is the only song on McCartney II I really like. "Summer's Day Song"  -- meh.

                                        I couldn’t sing a line of either one if you held a gun to my head. McCartney II is one of my least favorite albums of Paul’s. I even like Press To Play more! 😂

                                        "Waterfals" is quite good.  Once I heard "Temporary Secretary" for the first time....I stopped the album then and there,  and never went back....until the re-issue.  It was better than I remembered it.  I don't get the intense dislike of "Press To Play" on the forum.  I rather liked it.  Thought songs recorded at the session and not included on the album should have been...., one being"Write Away."  

                                        Leaving "Write Away" off the album was one of the biggest mistakes of his career. Had he put it on, it would now be considered a classic and he would play it in concert.

                                          McCartney 2 is a great album with some of my favorite songs.  I live both of these songs !!!

                                          My favorite song tied to this album is Blue Sway which Paul dedicated to Linda. A very beautiful version, is the color vid.

                                           

                                           

                                            mercyjames wrote:Just more reasons why McCartney II is such a cool album. I'd love to hear "One of These Days" live.

                                            McCartney II is a highly underrated album indeed!

                                            I once wrote an Amazon review about how strong the LP actually is. It has a sound that is overall very cohesive. More so than other albums. Macca is checking his machine, having fun, and yet totally involved and focused throughout. 

                                            Just shows Macca is willing to experiment and take chances.  No nonsense production, it's a fairly honest album as well. 

                                            The deluxe/expanded edition has even more gems.

                                            Also, does any think that the melody from Cyndi Lauper's Girl's Just Want To Have Fun, was a melody swipe from Frozen Jap, about the 0:47+ ?