Home

We'll Watch The World As It Happily Ends

25 posts

Last post 03/09/2020

Posted by SusyLuvsPaul

Pages

Original post

I first heard 'We'll Watch The World As It Happily Ends' on a bootleg compilation cassette of rare Macca related material back in the early 80's.

Supposedly its a Wings outtake from around the time of the Back To The Egg sessions but its never been confirmed either officially or unofficially.

So is this song a rare Wings track or is it by another totally unrelated artist? Has the artist been wrongly identified, intentionally or unintentionally?

You decide? :-)

Unfortunately the recording is of poor quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz_XL5EpHXk

I think it is probably him. I played it a couple of times and it became stuck in my head, so to speak, which is a very good indicator that it is a composition/recording of his. It sounds most like him and Wings near the end of the track. Pity that the quality suffers.

If we could ever get a deluxe edition of Back to the Egg, perhaps it would be included on the bonus disc.

^
          Yes,it is a very catchy song and it does sound like Paul.

Then again, I thought Penny O'Dell (sic) was a really good song and sounded like Paul too?

Sounds more like a Dave Davies outtake than McCartney, but I don't know the actual artist myself either.

Doesn't sound like McCartney to me.

It sounds like Paul, but maybe not. Really interesting...

It doesn't sound like him. But the uploader seems to be a knowledgeable, hard core bootleg collector. It might be him.

At moments it sounds like Paul, but the recording quality is pretty poor, so it's hard to tell for sure. If it's Paul/Wings, I wish they'd released it, it's a fun record.

I can hear "Paul" a lot in this.... with Status Quo as the backing band..... not convinced it is the real Paul, however...

It sounds like Wings & its actually a good tune. Therefore, I doubt its actually Paul & Wings as he would have mentioned it or surfaced by now.

That's not Paul, not even close. Surprised at you.

Squid:That's not Paul, not even close. Surprised at you.

Of course not. And even the song title is totally against the grain of what he's about.

I'm in the "It's not Paul" column. Even in bad quality, I can't hear his style of singing. The music doesn't help me either....

Sure sounds like Wings to me. Especially the chorus of "ah, ah, the future"; sounds exactly like Paul from the Run Devil Run album. And the guitar solos resemble licks from Back To The Egg. Pretty cool song.

That is not Paul McCartney.

The hook is very reminiscent of "Honey Hush," incidentally.

If the songwriter had read scientist Carl Sagan's essay on Nuclear Winter of WWIII, possibly in the near future closer than we realize--of the utter and complete uber-catastrophic devastating destruction of everything and everyone--this song would not have "happily" in its title.

SusyLuvsPaul:If the songwriter had read scientist Carl Sagan's essay on Nuclear Winter of WWIII, possibly in the near future closer than we realize--of the utter and complete uber-catastrophic devastating destruction of everything and everyone--this song would not have "happily" in its title.

Irony - it's like goldie or bronzie, only more pointy.

Great song but not sure it's one of Paul's. Very close style though.

I want it to be a Paul song just so people who acronym his song titles can type out WWTWAIHE.

Pages