Home

The Songs You Love.....That Most Don't.

130 posts

Last post 05/12/2020

Posted by SusyLuvsPaul

Pages

B J Conlee wrote:

The Other Me

Many Paul haters jumped on the "dustbin lid" line in the beginning of this song as being a terrible lyric.  Basically it is just a British slang word.  But people didn't look at the rest of the lyrics which are great and extremely personal.  I always loved this song, Paul's soul-like singing and George Martin's overall great production.   A really underrated song imo on a much maligned album.  I love "The Other Me" and the title cut "Pipes of Peace" on this album.  Another example of the fact that even on somewhat weaker albums Paul usually has 2 or 3 or great hidden gems.  "Keep Under Cover" isn't too shabby either. 

The Other Me isn't great, but it's one of the better tracks on a generally weak album. My list of songs I love that many disdain is, at least right at the moment:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Silly Love Songs (Paul fans love it, critics still put it down decades later)

At the Mercy

Feet in the Clouds

Nod Your Head

Bruce M. wrote:

B J Conlee wrote:

The Other Me

Many Paul haters jumped on the "dustbin lid" line in the beginning of this song as being a terrible lyric.  Basically it is just a British slang word.  But people didn't look at the rest of the lyrics which are great and extremely personal.  I always loved this song, Paul's soul-like singing and George Martin's overall great production.   A really underrated song imo on a much maligned album.  I love "The Other Me" and the title cut "Pipes of Peace" on this album.  Another example of the fact that even on somewhat weaker albums Paul usually has 2 or 3 or great hidden gems.  "Keep Under Cover" isn't too shabby either. 

The Other Me isn't great, but it's one of the better tracks on a generally weak album. My list of songs I love that many disdain is, at least right at the moment:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

At the Mercy

Feet in the Clouds

Nod Your Head

Even critics of "Silly Love Songs" admit it has a great bass line and the harmonies are excellent.

Back on My Feet,  the flip side of Once Upon a Lomg Ago

Footprints and Angry, both off Press to Play

Tiny Bubbles

John Mackintosh wrote:

Tiny Bubbles

Good choices John,  I love Footprints (one of my favs on Press to Play) and I always thought Tiny Bubbles was a "guilty pleasure" on Driving Rain.  And "Back on My Feet" should have made it on the original "Flowers in the Dirt" album.

B J Conlee wrote:

John Mackintosh wrote:

Tiny Bubbles

Good choices John,  I love Footprints (one of my favs on Press to Play)

Mine too although I've always felt that an arrangement similar to Waterfalls would have suited Footprints better. The Press To Play version is just a little too cluttered where as a more minimilist approach would have been more affective.

Bruce M. wrote:

B J Conlee wrote:

The Other Me

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

At the Mercy

Feet in the Clouds

Nod Your Head

Hey Bruce...I like all of your choices too.  I remember getting my first new car (VW Beatle) and loving my 8 Track that I had installed.  What a sound in such a small  car.  It was when Abbey Road had just been released.  I always liked "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" because it was yet another "wacky" Paul song.  I know a lot of critics hated the song but I liked it because it was so different.  Of course I always loved the last half of Abbey Road.  

I also liked "At the Mercy" which I always wished had gone a little longer.  "Feet in the Clouds" on MAF really grew with me also.  I know it was a little repetitious in parts but I liked it.  "Nod Your Head" on the end of MAF took longer for me to like but it was actually "you" that helped me to appreciate it more as a great follow up to "The End of the End" which is one of my favorites on MAF.

Have you seen the last review on McCartney 3?  Really sounds promising as this critic seems very realistic and not just a fanboy type.  Take a look at my last post on the McCartney 3 Page if you haven't seen it.

B J Conlee wrote:

Bruce M. wrote:
                  B J Conlee wrote:

The Other Me

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

At the Mercy

Feet in the Clouds

Nod Your Head

Hey Bruce...I like all of your choices too.  I remember getting my first new car (VW Beatle) and loving my 8 Track that I had installed.  What a sound in such a small  car.  It was when Abbey Road had just been released.  I always liked "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" because it was yet another "wacky" Paul song.  I know a lot of critics hated the song but I liked it because it was so different.  Of course I always loved the last half of Abbey Road.  

I also liked "At the Mercy" which I always wished had gone a little longer.  "Feet in the Clouds" on MAF really grew with me also.  I know it was a little repetitious in parts but I liked it.  "Nod Your Head" on the end of MAF took longer for me to like but it was actually "you" that helped me to appreciate it more as a great follow up to "The End of the End" which is one of my favorites on MAF.

Have you seen the last review on McCartney 3?  Really sounds promising as this critic seems very realistic and not just a fanboy type.  Take a look at my last post on the McCartney 3 Page if you haven't seen it.

I've seen a bunch of review of McCartney III. Sounds promising, with a few tracks I probably won't love. I've learned the hard way I need to sit with an album for a while before I know what I really think of it.

Bruce M. wrote:

I've learned the hard way I need to sit with an album for a while before I know what I really think of it.

That's so true and from experience I have found the albums that take longer to get into are the albums that have more depth to them and will have longer lasting appeal.  I certainly think that some albums and individual songs by Paul can take a few listens to truly appreciate.

I still have this crystal clear memory of hearing a new Wings single on the radio for the very first time and being so disappointed. I thought it sounded so tuneless and disjointed and I wasn'y overly impressed when I caught it on the radio a few days later either. But I still went out and bought it of course, and following a few plays,it suddenly clicked,I'd got it. After that, I just couldn't undestand why I hadn't appreciated how catchy it was from the very beginning. The single in question was Listen To What The Man Said. 

A very good Maccaboard friend of mine does not like this song and I really love everything about it, especially the video!!! We probably argue about this one the most... It is such a happy song.  I've also dreamt that I could go flying in a dream so maybe that has something to do with it 

Off the Ground

Paul songs that are underrated, not given their due fully (I might have repeated some) :

C Moon, Honey Pie, Wild Honey Pie, My Little Koala, Say Say Say, I'll Give You a Ring, Ballroom Dancing, Morris Moose and the Grey Goose, Rough Ride, Big Barn Bed, Vintage Clothes, Rinse the Raindrops, One More Kiss, The Other Me, Mumbo, Get It, So Bad, Fuh You, Ebony and Ivory, Motor of Love, Name and Address, Let me Roll It, The Pound is Sinking, What's That You're Doing, Golden Earth Girl, London Town, Every Night, From a Lover to a Friend, Mistress and Maid, Sweet Sweet Memories,  Dear Friend, Country Dreamer, That Would Be Something, Arrow Through Me, Wild Life, Cafe on the Left  Bank, Love In Song, Warm and Beautiful

Red Rose Speedway Medley, Young  Boy, Tomorrow, Mama Miss America, Get on the Right Thing,  Heart of the Country, Sally G., Daytime/Night time Suffering

Pages