Home

Wings at Glasgow Apollo

1626 views

19 posts

Last post 26/12/2019

Posted by thenightfish

      Original post

      It was 35 years ago tonight (17 December) that Paul and Wings played one of their greatest ever gigs at the legendary and much missed Glasgow Apollo. The live version of Coming Up recorded that night went on to top the charts in the US. If you haven't heard the bootleg of this gig (Last Flight), you should check it out. As Paul said to the Glasgow crowd as he left the stage that night, "As usual you were the best". Wonderful memories for me as it was the first time I saw Paul live so I like to claim I've has a number 1 single with him! (me and 2,999 others!)

        My favourite recording from that short 79 tour.

        I'd have crawled over broken glass for a live Old Siam Sir!

          Jock Tamson:It was 35 years ago tonight (17 December) that Paul and Wings played one of their greatest ever gigs at the legendary and much missed Glasgow Apollo. The live version of Coming Up recorded that night went on to top the charts in the US. If you haven't heard the bootleg of this gig (Last Flight), you should check it out. As Paul said to the Glasgow crowd as he left the stage that night, "As usual you were the best". Wonderful memories for me as it was the first time I saw Paul live so I like to claim I've has a number 1 single with him! (me and 2,999 others!)

          Hi Jock, count me as one of those 2,999 others! I was up in the front row of "the gods" (balcony) and it was wonderful. Even when things started shaking when the crowd shouted, clapped and stomped for the encore. So special to hear the Back to the Egg songs, and nothing compares to hearing Mull of Kintyre with the entire audience singing along. I was also at the first Glasgow gig, and these two plus Edinburgh and the Concert for Kampuchea are still 4 of my favorite Paul gigs ever.

            Incredibly its now 40 years today since my first Paul gig. And what a gig it was! That's me at Paul's elbow and Thenightfish, you must be in there somewhere too. Hope some of the live versions of the Back to the Egg and london Town songs from this tour appear on their super deluxe editions (assuming they see the light of day). 

              ^ Wow! Great seats! (or was it standing only?) I would have given anything to be that close when I saw him in 1976. (was directly to stage right up in the front of the 2nd tier)  

                Jock Tamson wrote:

                Incredibly its now 40 years today since my first Paul gig. And what a gig it was! That's me at Paul's elbow and Thenightfish, you must be in there somewhere too. Hope some of the live versions of the Back to the Egg and london Town songs from this tour appear on their super deluxe editions (assuming they see the light of day). 

                 

                Hi Jock! Happy anniversary! what a great spot to be in for your first Paul gig.  I was in the front row of the balcony that night, so yes I should be in that photo somewhere!   It was a fine place to be, "in the gods" (except when it started shaking up there as everyone stomped their feet and chanted "Paul McCartney" before the encore ).   On the 16th, I was on the floor, several rows back, maybe 12 or 13? Also a wonderful gig. I am still so happy that I made it over for those shows.

                I loved that tour, so happy I was able to see a few of the shows.  I celebrated a bit last year being back in Glasgow last year, tho of course it wasn't the same (and no Mull). I am glad that at least we do have the Last Flight bootleg to remember these gigs by, but yes, it would be great to get some of the songs on the deluxe versions of those albums. 

                  Nancy R wrote:

                  ^ Wow! Great seats! (or was it standing only?) I would have given anything to be that close when I saw him in 1976. (was directly to stage right up in the front of the 2nd tier)  

                  The Apollo was an all seater venue but at the start of Coming Up there was a rush to the front and everyone massed round the stage and stood in the aisles. Incidentally if you listen to Last Flight you'll hear Paul ask, "how ya doin up in the ashtrays?" He's referring to the small boxes which you can see in the photo.

                    thenightfish wrote:

                    Hi Jock! Happy anniversary! what a great spot to be in for your first Paul gig.  I was in the front row of the balcony that night, so yes I should be in that photo somewhere!   It was a fine place to be, "in the gods" (except when it started shaking up there as everyone stomped their feet and chanted "Paul McCartney" before the encore ).   On the 16th, I was on the floor, several rows back, maybe 12 or 13? Also a wonderful gig. I am still so happy that I made it over for those shows.

                    I loved that tour, so happy I was able to see a few of the shows.  I celebrated a bit last year being back in Glasgow last year, tho of course it wasn't the same (and no Mull). I am glad that at least we do have the Last Flight bootleg to remember these gigs by, but yes, it would be great to get some of the songs on the deluxe versions of those albums. 

                    A couple of other songs apart from Coming Up from this gig appeared on the McCartney superdeluxe reissue: Every Night (with Laurence's blistering guitar solo) and Hot as Sun. Is it correct that on the Sunday night (16th) there was a lone piper rather than the full pipe band they had on 17th? 

                      thenightfish wrote:

                       On the 16th, I was on the floor, several rows back, maybe 12 or 13? Also a wonderful gig. I am still so happy that I made it over for those shows.

                       

                      I can't verify it, but this YouTube clip is apprently from the Sunday 16th show:

                       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atiLB2pyiVM

                       

                        Jock Tamson wrote:

                        thenightfish wrote:
                         On the 16th, I was on the floor, several rows back, maybe 12 or 13? Also a wonderful gig. I am still so happy that I made it over for those shows.

                         

                        I can't verify it, but this YouTube clip is apprently from the Sunday 16th show:

                         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atiLB2pyiVM

                         

                        Jock,

                        Thanks for the reminder of this Anniversary Date for hard core Macca fans.  For these reasons, I'm surely hoping that the next Archive Full Treatment Remaster will be Back to the Egg and London Town. Can you imagine if Paul and company offered a full remastered CD of "Last Flight" as part of their Super Deluxe package.  Plus there are so many other extras surrounding both of these albums and sessions.  I would love to buy a Deluxe Package that would offer so many extras.

                        Recently, there was a report that surfaced where it laid out that Flaming Pie would be the next Archive Release.  I don't have a problem with that because I love Flaming Pie but the Back to the Egg/London Town package will off so much more.  Because of Linda's health, there isn't much extra material around the time of Flaming Pie. Yes, I will love to have a new remastered Flaming Pie CD plus a bonus CD with some extra songs but the Back to the Egg/London Town would offer so much more.  I want both FP and Egg/London Town but I would much prefer the latter to come out first.  Let's hope we get both packages within the next year.

                         

                          B J Conlee wrote:

                          Recently, there was a report that surfaced where it laid out that Flaming Pie would be the next Archive Release.  I don't have a problem with that because I love Flaming Pie but the Back to the Egg/London Town package will off so much more.  

                          In a recent interview Paul commented that he's been listening to Arrow Through Me (presumably as part of the Archive Release 'thumb aloft' audio process) so fingers crossed the Back To The Egg reissue isn't too far away.

                            Kestrel wrote:

                            B J Conlee wrote:

                            Recently, there was a report that surfaced where it laid out that Flaming Pie would be the next Archive Release.  I don't have a problem with that because I love Flaming Pie but the Back to the Egg/London Town package will off so much more.  

                            In a recent interview Paul commented that he's been listening to Arrow Through Me (presumably as part of the Archive Release 'thumb aloft' audio process) so fingers crossed the Back To The Egg reissue isn't too far away.

                            Kestrel...Thanks and hope you"re right.  I would definitely be a buyer of at least one of the "Egg" packages.

                              Love, love, love Last Flight bootleg.  IMO, the absolute best live versions of Maybe I'm Amazed and Let It Be.  And yes, Hot As Sun/Glasses sounds amazing.  AND Old Siam Sir just plain rocks!! Yep, need a remastered Wings-Last Flight in 2020!!

                                wingsoverkc wrote:

                                Love, love, love Last Flight bootleg.  IMO, the absolute best live versions of Maybe I'm Amazed and Let It Be.  And yes, Hot As Sun/Glasses sounds amazing.  AND Old Siam Sir just plain rocks!! Yep, need a remastered Wings-Last Flight in 2020!!

                                Agreed

                                  Jock Tamson wrote: A couple of other songs apart from Coming Up from this gig appeared on the McCartney superdeluxe reissue: Every Night (with Laurence's blistering guitar solo) and Hot as Sun. Is it correct that on the Sunday night (16th) there was a lone piper rather than the full pipe band they had on 17th? 

                                   

                                  I believe that is correct, at least, that is how I do remember it, tho I have no photos or videos to back that up. I remember the huge great reaction from the audience when the full pipe band walked out, and also remember only one piper at the Edinburgh show.

                                    thenightfish wrote:

                                    Jock Tamson wrote: A couple of other songs apart from Coming Up from this gig appeared on the McCartney superdeluxe reissue: Every Night (with Laurence's blistering guitar solo) and Hot as Sun. Is it correct that on the Sunday night (16th) there was a lone piper rather than the full pipe band they had on 17th? 

                                     

                                    I believe that is correct, at least, that is how I do remember it, tho I have no photos or videos to back that up. I remember the huge great reaction from the audience when the full pipe band walked out, and also remember only one piper at the Edinburgh show.

                                    All the shows featured the lone piper apart from the last show's pipe band, as this was the only one to be filmed.

                                      Just giving the Wings Last Flight (Glasgow Apollo, December 1979) a listen - what an amazing show! McCartney on top form and even the usually dull 'Cook Of The House' sounds great here.

                                        Good to nice 

                                          Kestrel wrote:

                                          thenightfish wrote:
                                          Jock Tamson wrote: A couple of other songs apart from Coming Up from this gig appeared on the McCartney superdeluxe reissue: Every Night (with Laurence's blistering guitar solo) and Hot as Sun. Is it correct that on the Sunday night (16th) there was a lone piper rather than the full pipe band they had on 17th? 

                                           

                                          I believe that is correct, at least, that is how I do remember it, tho I have no photos or videos to back that up. I remember the huge great reaction from the audience when the full pipe band walked out, and also remember only one piper at the Edinburgh show.

                                          All the shows featured the lone piper apart from the last show's pipe band, as this was the only one to be filmed.

                                          Thank you!  I have friends who went to Wembley and Liverpool and Lewisham; was going to ask them how they remembered it as I thought that Mull was featured at every show on the tour, not just in Scotland.