Home

The Number Ones: Paul McCartney & Wings' "My Love"

208 views

10 posts

Last post 16/04/2019

Posted by Bruce M.

      Original post

      Stereogum

      The Number Ones: Paul McCartney & Wings' "My Love"

      LIVE

        Well, I must agree to disagree with this journalist. Maybe if he knew the story of how, when Linda first arrived at Paul’s in mid-Sept. 1968, there was nothing in the fridge except sour milk and moldy cheese and “the cupboard was bare” he would appreciate the lyrics more. I was 18 years old when My Love was released and nearly 46 years later it remains one of my favorite Paul/Wings songs. 

          I must say I've never thought of My Love as anything more than just okay. Paul's written a gazillion better love songs, from Maybe I'm Amazed to My Valentine and Hand in Hand.

            Bruce M. wrote:

            I must say I've never thought of My Love as anything more than just okay. Paul's written a gazillion better love songs, from Maybe I'm Amazed to My Valentine and Hand in Hand.

            Like I said, agree to disagree. Maybe I’m Amazed, I will agree, is my favorite. 

              I have to say that I've always found My Love a bit of a dirge, only saved by Henry's guitar solo. But there's no getting away from the fact that its a very popular ballad by Paul.

                Let's see, "My Love" was #1 for a month in 1973 and spent over two months in the Top Twenty.  As known on this site, I'm a bit of a rocker, but "My Love" was not a 'dirge' and in this universe not a lesser tune than "My Valentine" and "Hand in Hand".  "My Love" will be played and played on FM, AM, Spotify, Pandora, etc., etc., for the next 50 years.  Not sure if Valentine or Hand will be played for the next 50 days.  "My Love" owned the summer of '73 and regarded by millions as a great love song.    

                  wingsoverkc wrote:

                  Let's see, "My Love" was #1 for a month in 1973 and spent over two months in the Top Twenty.  As known on this site, I'm a bit of a rocker, but "My Love" was not a 'dirge' and in this universe not a lesser tune than "My Valentine" and "Hand in Hand".  "My Love" will be played and played on FM, AM, Spotify, Pandora, etc., etc., for the next 50 years.  Not sure if Valentine or Hand will be played for the next 50 days.  "My Love" owned the summer of '73 and regarded by millions as a great love song.    

                  Hear, Hear!! 👍

                    It's not fair to compare commercial success of a tune from the height of Paul's days as a hitmaker with recent songs like My Valentine. He could release My Love, Maybe I'm Amazed or pretty much anything else today as new material and it wouldn't chart.  That's no reflection on the quality of anything, it's just a matter of what the kids listen to (mostly hip hop) and what radio plays.

                      Ahh, "Come On To Me" reached #6 on the Adult Contemporary Chart and #18 on the Hot 100.  Yea, I think "Maybe I'm Amazed" would have charted in 2018.

                        wingsoverkc wrote:

                        Ahh, "Come On To Me" reached #6 on the Adult Contemporary Chart and #18 on the Hot 100.  Yea, I think "Maybe I'm Amazed" would have charted in 2018.

                        Sorry, but  though"Come On To Me" was the closest Paul's come to a radio hit in over 20 years  it did not crack the Billboard Hot 100.  It edged into the top 10 in the AC and Triple A charts (which represent miniscule airplay compared to Top 40), but that's it.  Wikipedia sums it up, but you can dredge through Billboard's site if you want to confirm.