Home

Favourite Christmas Songs.

202 views

18 posts

Last post 10/01/2020

Posted by love2travel

      Original post

      Okay,its getting near that time of year so here's a thread for everyones favourite Christmas songs / music. It doesn't have to be specifically about Christmas ( as with my choice), it can just be a recording that you associate with this time of year. 

      So I'll go first with this lovely song from 1975...On Horseback by Mike Oldfield.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR0XNsDYk9k

       

      .

        Do you only want us to pick contemporary Christmas songs, like Happy Xmas (War Is Over) or can we pick traditional ones? 

        Like my favorite traditional Christmas hymn is O Holy Night, but my favorite contemporary song is Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms.

        P.S. I never heard that song you picked! (typical for me!)

          Nancy R wrote:

          Do you only want us to pick contemporary Christmas songs, like Happy Xmas (War Is Over) or can we pick traditional ones? 

          Like my favorite traditional Christmas hymn is O Holy Night, but my favorite contemporary song is Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms.

          P.S. I never heard that song you picked! (typical for me!)

          Sorry for not responding before,Nancy, only I wasn't on-line at all during  Wednesday and only for a short while yesterday. To answer your question, any song at all, traditional or modern. I'm not really surprised you haven't heard my favourite song. It was part of a double A-side hit single here in the UK back in 1975 and a closing track on Mike's Ommadawn album the same year. Its not that well known really.

            Had never heard your pick either, Kestrel. Really did enjoy it, however, reminded me of the land of Brexit...  Loved the horses and the countryside. Very nice. 

            I'm going to choose White Christmas  by Bing Crosby. Brings back memories of my Mum & Dad.

            https://youtu.be/Z4T6h0xFRoY

            🎄🎁🎉

              Nancy R wrote:

              Like my favorite traditional Christmas hymn is O Holy Night, but my favorite contemporary song is Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms.

              That is a lovely hymn. I have heard it before but didn't know what it was called. Jingle Bell Rock is certainly a seasonal feel good song, very relaxing but quite up beat in its own way.

                love2travel wrote:

                Had never heard your pick either, Kestrel. Really did enjoy it, however, reminded me of the land of Brexit...  

                I'm going to choose White Christmas  by Bing Crosby. Brings back memories of my Mum & Dad.

                I think White Christmas is the worlds best selling single ever....despite only being popular at one time a year !!    Certain songs do tend to evoke treasured memories from our past. 

                Brexit? I think you're the first board member to mention it which clearly demonstrates the US (compared to the UK) bias of these boards.  

                  Kestrel wrote:

                  love2travel wrote:

                  Had never heard your pick either, Kestrel. Really did enjoy it, however, reminded me of the land of Brexit...  

                  I'm going to choose White Christmas  by Bing Crosby. Brings back memories of my Mum & Dad.

                  I think White Christmas is the worlds best selling single ever....despite only being popular at one time a year !!    Certain songs do tend to evoke treasured memories from our past. 

                  Brexit? I think you're the first board member to mention it which clearly demonstrates the US (compared to the UK) bias of these boards.  

                  I think she was just kidding around. She put a 😉 after it. It is probably a sore subject with most people in the U.K., whether for or against it. 

                    Nancy R wrote:

                    Kestrel wrote:
                    love2travel wrote:

                    Had never heard your pick either, Kestrel. Really did enjoy it, however, reminded me of the land of Brexit...  

                    I'm going to choose White Christmas  by Bing Crosby. Brings back memories of my Mum & Dad.

                    I think White Christmas is the worlds best selling single ever....despite only being popular at one time a year !!    Certain songs do tend to evoke treasured memories from our past. 

                    Brexit? I think you're the first board member to mention it which clearly demonstrates the US (compared to the UK) bias of these boards.  

                    I think she was just kidding around. She put a 😉 after it. It is probably a sore subject with most people in the U.K., whether for or against it. 

                    I'm sure she was but its still very interesting to see the dreaded B word pop up on these boards after three years.

                      Kestrel wrote:

                      Nancy R wrote:
                      Kestrel wrote:
                      love2travel wrote:

                      Had never heard your pick either, Kestrel. Really did enjoy it, however, reminded me of the land of Brexit...  

                      I'm going to choose White Christmas  by Bing Crosby. Brings back memories of my Mum & Dad.

                      I think White Christmas is the worlds best selling single ever....despite only being popular at one time a year !!    Certain songs do tend to evoke treasured memories from our past. 

                      Brexit? I think you're the first board member to mention it which clearly demonstrates the US (compared to the UK) bias of these boards.  

                      I think she was just kidding around. She put a 😉 after it. It is probably a sore subject with most people in the U.K., whether for or against it. 

                      I'm sure she was but its still very interesting to see the dreaded B word pop up on these boards after three years.

                      I was in England during the first Brexit vote.  Surprised how Corbyn and Johnson suddenly departed and it was dumped into May's lap. Have been following it on BBC and European news ever since, through the other votes and the kippers... I have an opinion, however, I don't live there, and so best I keep it to myself.  Cheers!

                      Another favorite Christmas song is Adeste Fideles, my first go at another language in my childhood choir.

                      https://youtu.be/nZ7cWPejR0Y

                        Kestrel wrote:

                        Nancy R wrote:
                        Kestrel wrote:
                        love2travel wrote:

                        Had never heard your pick either, Kestrel. Really did enjoy it, however, reminded me of the land of Brexit...  

                        I'm going to choose White Christmas  by Bing Crosby. Brings back memories of my Mum & Dad.

                        I think White Christmas is the worlds best selling single ever....despite only being popular at one time a year !!    Certain songs do tend to evoke treasured memories from our past. 

                        Brexit? I think you're the first board member to mention it which clearly demonstrates the US (compared to the UK) bias of these boards.  

                        I think she was just kidding around. She put a 😉 after it. It is probably a sore subject with most people in the U.K., whether for or against it. 

                        I'm sure she was but its still very interesting to see the dreaded B word pop up on these boards after three years.

                        Yeah. I know it's not good for you, but our trip to the U.K. in 2020 is costing us a lot less than in 2016 (prior to Brexit) The pound was about $1.65 then, and already purchased tickets and hotels for 2020 at about $1.28. (it's $1.33 today)

                          Nancy R wrote:

                          Yeah. I know it's not good for you, but our trip to the U.K. in 2020 is costing us a lot less than in 2016 (prior to Brexit) The pound was about $1.65 then, and already purchased tickets and hotels for 2020 at about $1.28. (it's $1.33 today)

                          If the more favourable exchange rate encourages more US citizens to visit the UK then that can only be a good thing. Everyones a winner. 

                            love2travel wrote:

                            Another favorite Christmas song is Adeste Fideles, my first go at another language in my childhood choir.

                            https://youtu.be/nZ7cWPejR0Y

                            Stirring stuff.

                             

                            Another favourite of mine is Do You hear What I Hear?, a song which I'm sure most of you will be familiar with. Tons of versions are available of this song but i think its most suited to a childrens choir, such as this one:

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUqmkOD848M

                             

                              Kestrel wrote:

                              Nancy R wrote:

                              Yeah. I know it's not good for you, but our trip to the U.K. in 2020 is costing us a lot less than in 2016 (prior to Brexit) The pound was about $1.65 then, and already purchased tickets and hotels for 2020 at about $1.28. (it's $1.33 today)

                              If the more favourable exchange rate encourages more US citizens to visit the UK then that can only be a good thing. Everyones a winner. 

                              I thought of that after I posted! 😉😊

                                Kestrel wrote:

                                love2travel wrote:

                                Another favorite Christmas song is Adeste Fideles, my first go at another language in my childhood choir.

                                https://youtu.be/nZ7cWPejR0Y

                                Stirring stuff.

                                 

                                Another favourite of mine is Do You hear What I Hear?, a song which I'm sure most of you will be familiar with. Tons of versions are available of this song but i think its most suited to a childrens choir, such as this one:

                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUqmkOD848M

                                 

                                The children's choir is indeed a great choice for this song!

                                 We have so many images here, of the Christmas carolers singing in British towns and villages, or next to old churches and cathedrals. Is this still a custom in the U.K.? 

                                  One of my favourite memories from the 1998 Christmas season is Rockin Santa singing Jingle Bell Rock. Sung by Bobby  Helms.

                                  https://youtu.be/3F9SrPUvXYQ

                                    love2travel wrote:

                                    One of my favourite memories from the 1998 Christmas season is Rockin Santa singing Jingle Bell Rock. Sung by Bobby  Helms.

                                    https://youtu.be/3F9SrPUvXYQ

                                    See Nancy's original post.  

                                      love2travel wrote:

                                       We have so many images here, of the Christmas carolers singing in British towns and villages, or next to old churches and cathedrals. Is this still a custom in the U.K.? 

                                      Not to the degree it once was. I think there is an element of a H & S issue these days and having children out after dark  and in the cold. But in smaller communities and in schools it continues. A friend of mine is in a choir and they have been visiting hospitals, singing carols in the wards.

                                        Kestrel wrote:

                                        love2travel wrote:

                                         We have so many images here, of the Christmas carolers singing in British towns and villages, or next to old churches and cathedrals. Is this still a custom in the U.K.? 

                                        Not to the degree it once was. I think there is an element of a H & S issue these days and having children out after dark  and in the cold. But in smaller communities and in schools it continues. A friend of mine is in a choir and they have been visiting hospitals, singing carols in the wards.

                                        Hopefully, I will be there next year to see for meself and definitely want to see the fireworks from the South Bank...on my bucket list! I really love the villages, they are so Dickensian and the Christmas markets are great as well as the old Cathedrals...oh and Evensong or Miserere Mei Deus as long as we're mentioning Cathedrals in England