Home

Getting Your Real ID Driver’s License

158 views

13 posts

Last post 21/04/2020

Posted by Nancy R

      Original post

      My birthday is not until May, but because I was afraid they might close the DMV due to the coronavirus, and you can get your license 150 days early if you want, I went last week. Not many people there. Got my number and sat for less than 10 minutes and got called up! You have to have these items: old driver's license, birth certificate, 2 bills (like utility or credit card) with your name and address on them (blacken out your account #), if your name on birth certificate is different than current name, better have marriage certificate or divorce decree! They almost expected me to have my 2 divorce decrees (couldn't find one of them) until I whipped out my Passport. The supervisor said that was sufficient, thankfully. In GA you can fill out a questionnaire online ahead of time to speed things up even more. You can change your weight or height and add your blood type. No more discount for being an organ donor though!

      You have to have a REAL ID driver's license to fly starting Oct. 2020.

        I think they extended that date. Not sure though.

          oobu24 wrote:

          I think they extended that date. Not sure though.

          Still says Oct. 1st, but of course that could change!

          https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

            Trump JUST extended it. Google it. I can't get to many articles because of an ad blocker that I have. Wait...here is one that I can read:

            https://www.wbko.com/content/news/REAL-ID-deadline-postponed-because-of-coronavirus-569061681.html

              Just bring your Passport Card or Passport and they told me you don't need the real ID license. They were trying to get a bank statement at my motor vehicle. They also made me pick dem or publican, which they weren't supposed to do! I had 3 expired passports, which the first girl wasn't accepting. Thankfully she got someone else and they told her that was enough ID! 

                oobu24 wrote:

                Trump JUST extended it. Google it. I can't get to many articles because of an ad blocker that I have. Wait...here is one that I can read:

                https://www.wbko.com/content/news/REAL-ID-deadline-postponed-because-of-coronavirus-569061681.html

                Well, good. I mainly wanted to get my driver's license renewed early in case the DMV closes in May.

                  love2travel wrote:

                  Just bring your Passport Card or Passport and they told me you don't need the real ID license. They were trying to get a bank statement at my motor vehicle. They also made me pick dem or publican, which they weren't supposed to do! I had 3 expired passports, which the first girl wasn't accepting. Thankfully she got someone else and they told her that was enough ID! 

                  I don't want to have to take my passport when I fly domestically. 

                    The deadline has been moved to Oct. 1, 2021! 

                    https://www.aarp.org/auto/trends-lifestyle/info-2020/drivers-license-and-coronavirus-faqs.html

                      Good that they finally posted it.

                        Nancy R wrote:

                        You have to have a REAL ID driver's license to fly starting Oct. 2020.

                        When could you fly without an ID?

                          HaileyMcComet wrote:

                          Nancy R wrote:

                          You have to have a REAL ID driver's license to fly starting Oct. 2020.

                          When could you fly without an ID?

                          Never. But now you have to have a REAL ID license that has a star on it. This was going to start in Oct. 2020, but they moved it to Oct. 2021. So if your current driver's license doesn't expire until, say, May 2022, you will have to go get it renewed before Oct. 2021 in order to fly domestically. Or you could use a passport. 

                            I had to renew my license in person so I became "real" after all these years. At the time before the virus hit the fan people were waiting hours and hours to get these. I was there a long long time. They locked the doors at closing time. If you were inside, they took care of you. They started stepping it up. I had gotten a new passport recently (in that year) and that was proof enough.  I would rather not have to take my passport on domestic flights and so this is a better option to have. 

                              The_Fool wrote:

                              I had to renew my license in person so I became "real" after all these years. At the time before the virus hit the fan people were waiting hours and hours to get these. I was there a long long time. They locked the doors at closing time. If you were inside, they took care of you. They started stepping it up. I had gotten a new passport recently (in that year) and that was proof enough.  I would rather not have to take my passport on domestic flights and so this is a better option to have. 

                              Exactly! I got mine in mid-March and was in & out in less than 15 minutes!