Home

12 Weirdest Paul McCartney Songs

356 views

13 posts

Last post 05/05/2020

Posted by Nancy R

      Original post

      https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/the-12-weirdest-paul-mccartney-songs-21300/uncle-albert-admiral-halsey-1971-11197/

        What's weird about Thrillington? And I like Check My Machine, Temporary Secretary & Wild Honey Pie.

          oobu24 wrote:

          What's weird about Thrillington? And I like Check My Machine, Temporary Secretary & Wild Honey Pie.

          I have no idea. The other songs are just "different" than his usual compositions.

            I must confess to hating "Temporary Secretary," always have. "Coming Up" is one that strikes me as rather odd. English eccentric fare.  It's catchy in a kooky way.  "Admirel Halsey"  makes us English Lit majors swoon !  All kinda thrills !  "Monkberry Moon Delight" offers a galvinizing electric jolt to the system, perks you up, to say the least. I can't get this RS list to show. Except for "Kreen Akore." What's the other ones, please, thank you

              SusyLuvsPaul wrote:

              I must confess to hating "Temporary Secretary," always have. "Coming Up" is one that strikes me as rather odd. English eccentric fare.  It's catchy in a kooky way.  "Admirel Halsey"  makes us English Lit majors swoon !  All kinda thrills !  "Monkberry Moon Delight" offers a galvinizing electric jolt to the system, perks you up, to say the least. I can't get this RS list to show. Except for "Kreen Akore." What's the other ones, please, thank you

              Did you click on "View complete list?" P.S. It's Kreen *Akrore*

              Check My Machine, Wild Honey Pie, Mary Had A Little Lamb, Thrillington, Temporary Secretary, Nod Your Head (I HATE that song!), Famous Groupies, Loup (1st Indian On The Moon), Free Now, All You Horseriders, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.

               

                I didn't find those songs weird, they said Silly Live Songs was weird because of the clanking at the beginning. I thought it was inventive.  Temporary Secretary is one of my fav songs and got to hear it FIRST when he played it in London, both nights!! 🎉 what a great show.  Also love Famous Groupies as it's funny really. Kind of weird songs they picked actually. The only weird song for me is not on that list. Boil Crisis. 

                  "Weird' has to be taken in context with your experience of other artists and songs. When I bought 'Wings Greatest" as a 19 year old in 1987 I was really struck by the weirdness ( to me) of Band on the Run and Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. I was vaguely aware of BOTR but only knew the chorus. The twists and turns off both songs really blew my mind as being totally odd ( to a 19 year old who had grown up on 80s pop) but they also really turned me on to his music. I was on holiday at the time and when I got home I went straight out to buy Ram. It remains my favourite album of his, but I'm waffling now......  Other than that anything by The Fireman or Temporary Secretary is weird to me.

                    That's weird they left off "Monkberry Moon Delight," don't you think? 

                      SusyLuvsPaul wrote:

                      That's weird they left off "Monkberry Moon Delight," don't you think? 

                      Yeah, that's a fairly "weird" one! 😂

                        SusyLuvsPaul wrote:

                        That's weird they left off "Monkberry Moon Delight," don't you think? 

                        Maybe they didnt want to draw attention to what the song is about! 

                          Golden Earth Girl wrote:

                          SusyLuvsPaul wrote:

                          That's weird they left off "Monkberry Moon Delight," don't you think? 

                          Maybe they didnt want to draw attention to what the song is about! 

                          And what was that? I found this:

                          https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/paul-mccartney/songs/monkberry-moon-delight/

                            I always thought it was about pot/weed.

                              Golden Earth Girl wrote:

                              I always thought it was about pot/weed.

                              That's "Got To Get You Into My Life!" 😂