Home

Rename Penny Lane???

355 views

24 posts

Last post 25/06/2020

Posted by LadyLeslie

      Pages

      Original post

      How about Denny La(i)ne? 

        Well I also have thought it was named after Dennie Lane for years   Or perhaps there was a place to spend a penny on that lane... 

          The frustration that this woman feels (from the video) and having to be careful what she says while walking on eggshells is noticeable...

          I am so glad that I got to see the signs last year and some ago, before the person bought the paint and vandalized them now. Seeing the Penny Lane signs gave me a big smile then when I tried to see all the Beatles / Paul sights.

          Also glad that someone didn't do this vandalism when Paul was creating the song and good memories of the street.  

            Penny Lane is not named after James Penny the slave trader at all.Arrad Street near John Lennon's home was named after the place where James Penny came from in Cumbria.James Penny died in 1799, in every map/rent book/census, Penny Lane was not named until 1841. By then slavery had been abolished. Pennies lane it was once called and was at this time a small country lane, with a small bridge on which was a toll to cross of a Penny, it was later as the years went by shortened to Penny Lane.

            https://theprioryandthecastironshore.wordpress.com/2018/10/24/was-penny-lane-really-named-after-the-slave-merchant-james-penny/amp/

             

              Now they want to rename other streets, including Rodney St. which was where Brian Epstein was born!

              https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mayor-joe-anderson-favour-renaming-18393456

                Variety

                Rolling Stone

                N M EPenny Lane, Immortalized in Beatles Song, May Have Name Changed Due to Slavery Claim

                  The lockdown is having so many severe effects, one of them on people's mental health. How else to explain such stupid ideas without any proper research into why the lane actually came across its name ?  Slavery was an abhorrent stain on many countries' histories, but some people are hell-bent on sweeping away bad things and not caring if good stuff gets lost in the process. These people also take no account of the fact that over time people's attitudes change due to new information, and it doesn't make them any less respectable for once having had different views.

                    jimmix wrote:

                    Variety

                    Rolling Stone

                    N M EPenny Lane, Immortalized in Beatles Song, May Have Name Changed Due to Slavery Claim

                    Who's on the US penny?  Abraham Lincoln.

                      From what I'm reading, it seems they can prove Penny Lane was not related to the earlier slave trader.  I'm sure most people would relate Penny Lane to the BeaTles. It is a sacred Liverpool BeaTles landmark that most visitors will go to see when in Liverpool and right next to the roundabout! For heaven's sake, put a picture of the BeaTles on the Penny Lane sign!  There's  even the barber.  I remember the first time I went there with a group from work. It came alive with the lyrics from the song.  If something BeaTles goes on the street signs, that should forever keep it a BeaTles  (and a very positive) association for the street. And a more current association too! If we BELIEVE  and say a prayer for good measure. Start a chain letter to the mayor and have an official Penny Lane BeaTles rechristening  with two of the city's most famous heroes. 

                      Save Penny Lane for the millions who have come and will come to visit and take a picture of the sign!!

                        Who put this person in charge? Why is it okay that they can do an act like this without going through proper channels?

                        No petition, no vote of the people; guilty until proven innocent? This is criminal and everyone has to walk on eggshells to not say anything that could be taken wrong while this criminal becomes the judge and jury of what can be destroyed?

                        It is wrong ...

                          The_Fool wrote:

                          Who put this person in charge? Why is it okay that they can do an act like this without going through proper channels?

                          No petition, no vote of the people; guilty until proven innocent? This is criminal and everyone has to walk on eggshells to not say anything that could be taken wrong while this criminal becomes the judge and jury of what can be destroyed?

                          It is wrong ...

                          Are you talking about the Mayor Joe Anderson? Did you read this link I posted? 

                          https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mayor-joe-anderson-favour-renaming-18393456

                          His Twitter is listed there if you want to contact him. 

                            Any ideas about changing the name of Menlove Avenue as well, as it seems to glorify gay relationships whilst disregarding lesbians and heterosexuals? Also, the word "liver" in Liverpool might be offensive to vegans and vegetarians, while "pool" is discriminatory towards non-swimmers.

                             

                              Hamish Stuart wrote:

                              Any ideas about changing the name of Menlove Avenue as well, as it seems to glorify gay relationships whilst disregarding lesbians and heterosexuals? Also, the word "liver" in Liverpool might be offensive to vegans and vegetarians, while "pool" is discriminatory towards non-swimmers.

                               

                               

                              ha ha, that's funny and punny

                                Hamish Stuart wrote:

                                Any ideas about changing the name of Menlove Avenue as well, as it seems to glorify gay relationships whilst disregarding lesbians and heterosexuals? Also, the word "liver" in Liverpool might be offensive to vegans and vegetarians, while "pool" is discriminatory towards non-swimmers.

                                 

                                😂😂 Right on Hamish! 

                                  Nancy R wrote:

                                  The_Fool wrote:

                                  Who put this person in charge? Why is it okay that they can do an act like this without going through proper channels?

                                  No petition, no vote of the people; guilty until proven innocent? This is criminal and everyone has to walk on eggshells to not say anything that could be taken wrong while this criminal becomes the judge and jury of what can be destroyed?

                                  It is wrong ...

                                  Are you talking about the Mayor Joe Anderson? Did you read this link I posted? 

                                  https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mayor-joe-anderson-favour-renaming-18393456

                                  His Twitter is listed there if you want to contact him. 

                                  Why did your answer to me disappear? I wasn't offended. I just misunderstood who you were talking about. I totally agree with you about the criminal who defaced all the signs. 

                                   

                                    Nancy R wrote:

                                    Nancy R wrote:
                                    The_Fool wrote:

                                    Who put this person in charge? Why is it okay that they can do an act like this without going through proper channels?

                                    No petition, no vote of the people; guilty until proven innocent? This is criminal and everyone has to walk on eggshells to not say anything that could be taken wrong while this criminal becomes the judge and jury of what can be destroyed?

                                    It is wrong ...

                                    Are you talking about the Mayor Joe Anderson? Did you read this link I posted? 

                                    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mayor-joe-anderson-favour-renaming-18393456

                                    His Twitter is listed there if you want to contact him. 

                                    Why did your answer to me disappear? I wasn't offended. I just misunderstood who you were talking about. I totally agree with you about the criminal who defaced all the signs. 

                                     

                                    I deleted my post because: you asked if I read your post and I said yes. I saw that it was different than the one that I said that I read. 

                                    I was replying in a different direction that applied to Penny Lane and went beyond to a larger scale that seemed to derail the subject about Penny Lane.

                                     

                                     

                                      I really hope they do save the Penny Lane name, glad to read that the mayor seemed to think so too! Whew was sad to think of future visitors looking for Penny Lane... 😢

                                       

                                        I say keep the Penny Lane sign because of the Beatles and their message that All you need is Love!  They are an inspiration to people everywhere to follow that principle, and people are comforted when they hear the song and see the sign and remember that.  Taking down that sign would hurt, rather than help, that cause.

                                        I am very much opposed to discrimination against people in any form, but  I think we just have to accept that our forefathers didn't know any better, and were a product of the times in which they lived, and we need to educate our children about that, so they will learn from it, and not repeat the mistakes of the past. 

                                        Just because Thomas Jefferson or George Washington owned slaves, does that mean their other contributions in forming our country should be forgotten?   Do we also destroy the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, since over 50% of the founding fathers who drafted it were slave owners at the time.   And if Abraham Lincoln or Ulysses S. Grant married the daughters of slave owners, does that mean all of their statues and paintings should be vandalized?  (Monuments to Lincoln and Grant have recently been targets.)  Both of these men stood for civil rights and were leaders in the fight against slavery during the Civil War.  Their wives were supportive of them in this cause.

                                        Now Teddy Roosevelt seems to be a target.  I know he liked to hunt and kill wild animals for sport, and shoot buffalo, etc., but again, he was a product of the times in which he lived, and we've learned to be more respectful of animals now.   We can't go back in time and tell Teddy he was wrong.    But I never thought he was a bad president towards native americans or blacks, so can't see the reasoning behind removing his statue in NY... In fact, he had a fairly good record on civil rights.   Maybe the statue wouldn't be as offensive if he was standing between the native american and african, rather than on horseback in front of them, I don't know, but it's a work of art that can't be altered. 

                                        I think Meghan McCain on The View made some excellent points on Monday about this monument issue.. she's the daughter of the late John McCain  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8449523/Meghan-McCain-says-taking-statues-gone-far-eliminate-history.html

                                        She made a good point that if we continue on this trend, we'd have to destroy Mount Rushmore, because two of the presidents depicted on it were slaveholders... and we'd also have to re-name New York, because James, Duke of York (later James II) that NY is named after invested heavily in the slave trade for monetary profit in the late 1600s.

                                        I think rather than defacing/vandalzing monuments/statues/signs, etc.  we need to be civilized enough to go through the right channels to discuss their removal, and just educate our children and the public that these people were the product of their times, but we've learned so much since then, and know better.   Teaching people to hate the past increases hate itself!   We need to stop the hate and violence.   So many people are angry and hurt, and justifiably so, but taking out the pain on a statue isn't going to change anything until we can learn to love each other and to heal.

                                        Ok, I'm done with my rant.  

                                          ^ Well said Leslie! ✌️❤️

                                            Pages