Home

Spotify's "This Is: Paul McCartney" Channel (Volume 2)

214 views

14 posts

Last post 31/08/2020

Posted by Yankeefan2

      Original post

      As I h've mentioned and Posted earlier, I've been loving Spotify's "This Is: Paul McCartney" Playlist Channel.  I've enjoyed it so much, I wish that either Paul's people or Spotify themselves would introduce a Volume 2.  Just like this current channel, I would like them to add many more of Paul's "deeper cuts" from all of his Post Beatle Albums.  Since this Spotify Channel already covers all the songs from Egypt Station and added 4 more Beatle songs done "live" that Paul exclusively did for Spotify, this proposed Volume 2 Edition wouldn't duplicate any of the songs from the existing playlist.   In total, the "This Is: Paul McCartney" has about 68 tracks.  

      Here would be my list of 68 (mostly Deeper Cuts) Paul songs on Volume 2 :

      1. That Would Be Something (McCartney)

      2. Dear Boy (Ram)

      3. Eat at Home (Ram)

      4. Back Seat of My Car (Ram)

      5. Tomorrow (Wildlife)

      6. Some People Never Know (Wildlife)

      7. Single Pigeon (Red Rose Speedway)

      8. Little Lamb Dragonfly (Red Rose Speedway)

      9. Get On the Right Thing (Red Rose Speedway)

      10. Bluebird (Band on the Run)

      11. 1985 (Band on the Run)

      12. Love In Song (Venus and Mars)

      13. Magneto and Titanium Man (Venus and Mars)

      14. You Gave Me the Answer (Venus and Mars)

      15. Venus and Mars/Rock Show (Venus and Mars)

      16. She's My Baby (At the Speed of Sound)

      17. Beware My Love (At the Speed of Sound)

      18. Warm and Beautiful (At the Speed of Sound)

      19. Londontown (Londontown)

      20. I've Had Enough (Londontown)

      21. Don't Let It Bring You Down (Londontown)

      22. With a Little Luck (Londontown)

      23. Getting Closer (Back to the Egg)

      24. Old Siam Sir (Back to the Egg)

      25. So Glad to See You Here (Back to the Egg)

      26. Take It Away (Tug of War)

      27. Somebody Who Cares (Tug of War)

      28. The Pound is Sinking (Tug of War)

      29. Wanderlust (Tug of War)

      30. On the Way (McCartney 2)

      31. The Other Me (Pipes of Peace)

      32. Keep Under Cover (Pipes of Peace)

      33. No Values (Broad Street)

      34. Not Such a Bad Boy (Broad Street)

      35. Good Times Coming/Feel the Sun (Press to Play)

      36. Footprints (Press to Play)

      37. Press (Press to Play)

      38. Tough on a Tightrope (Press to Play)

      39. You Want Her Too (Flowers in the Dirt)

      40. Distractions (Flowers in the Dirt)

      41. Figure of 8 (Flowers in the Dirt)

      42. Get Out of My Way (Off the Ground)

      43. Off the Ground (Off the Ground)

      44. Young Boy (Flaming Pie)

      45. Calico Skies (Flaming Pie)

      46. Heaven on a Sunday (Flaming Pie)

      47. Run Devil Run (Run Devil Run)

      48. What It is (Run Devil Run)

      49. Lonely Road (Driving Rain)

      50. About You (Driving Rain)

      51. Back in the Sunshine (Driving Rain)

      52. Your Way (Driving Rain)

      53. How Kind of You (Chaos and Creation)

      54. Riding to Vanity Fair (Chaos and Creation)

      55. Anyway (Chaos and Creation)

      56. Promise to You Girl (Chaos and Creation)

      57. Ever Present Past (Memory Almost Full)

      58. See Your Sunshine (Memory Almost Full)

      59. Only Mama Kniow (Memoy Almost Full)

      60. Vintage Clothes/That Was Me (Memory Almost Full)

      61. Mr. Bellamy (Memory Almost Full)

      62. Dance Tonight (Memory Almost Full)

      63.. Dance Till We're High (Fireman)

      64.. Sun is Shining (Fireman)

      65.. Alligator (New)

      66.. Early Days (New)

      67. I Can Bet (New)

      68. Queenie Eye (New)

       

      If you look at the current list of "This Is: Paul McCartney", there are not any repeats with the above iist but still with just as good of quality.  I have deliberately not chosen any of Paul's "unreleaseed songs/demo's" which there a lot of.  That would possibly get into legal problems so I have chosen songs that are from all of Macca albums after the Beatles.  

        No complaints, I could listen to that list easily. 

        I do not know what is on Volume 1 to say what about this or that? 

        Good choices.

          The_Fool wrote:

          No complaints, I could listen to that list easily. 

          I do not know what is on Volume 1 to say what about this or that? 

          Good choices.

          Thanks "Fool".   Spotify's channel "This Is: Paul McCartney" has been up and running.  It's not labeled as Volume 1.  My Volume 2 is just my suggestions for a future Playlist under the same title.  Like any consumer, you are looking for something to enhance an existing product.  I started listening to Spotify's channel as a "music release" as I'm riding my bicycle and I love it.  Spotify just needs to add to it.  The current channel has all the Egypt Station songs (it was launched during the release of Egypt Station and some exclusive Beatle "live" songs (only 4 of them) that Paul and Band performed at Abbey Road Studios.  On top of those songs,  they have many of Paul's Solo/Wings songs.  Many of them are the obvious choices  (big hits, singles etc.) but my Volume 2 would contain far more "deeper cuts" not on Spotify's "This is: Paul McCartney" playlist.

          As an example , the current playlist from Paul's first Album "McCartney" has MaybeI'm Amazed, Every Night. The Lovely Linda and Junk.  On Ram, the playlist contains Too Many People, Uncle Albert, and Heart of the Country.  From the Wildlife album, you only have Dear Friend and from Red Rose Speedway you have My Love.  From Band on the Run, you have Jet, Band on the Run, and Let Me Roll It.  "Wings At the Speed of Sound has Let 'em In and Silly Love Songs.  Believe it or not, there wasn't one song from Venus and Mars!

          No songs on the Spotify plalylist from the Londontown album although they did have Mull of Kintyre the huge single written around the same time as Londontown.  Back to the Egg had only "Arrow Through Me" and McCartney 2 had Coming Up and the great hidden gem "One of These Days".

          Tug of War contains the songs Ebony and Ivory and Here Today while Pipes of Peace had Say Say Say, The Other Me, and the title cut "Pipes of Peace".  Flowers in the Dirt had My Brave Face, Put it There and This One while Off the Ground only had Hope of Deliverance.  Flaming Pie had The World Tonight, Little Willow and Beautiful Night while Run Devil Run only had "No Other Baby".

          Driving Rain only had "Magic' while Chaos and Creation contained Jenny Wren, Too Much Rain, and This Never Happened Before.  Memory Almost Full has "You Tell Me" and "The End of the End" (2 great hidden gems).

          Basically and in my opinion Spotify's "This is: Paul McCartney" had a great playlist with all the obvious Solo/Wings songs and a few hidden gems.  My vision and suggestion for a Volume 2 would have almost all "hidden gems".  Paul has so many of them that you never hear on the Radio or many of the various playlists in restaurants and convenience stores.

          Hope this helps you out and if you haven't listened to Spotify's "This is: Paul McCartney" and you use sites like Spotify I would highly recommend it.  Hopefully a proposal like my volume 2 will eventually come out.

           

            I like your choices and you listed some of my favorites that I have mentioned for years like "About You", "Dance Til We're High", "I Can Bet", "That Was Me", "What It is" and "Promise To You Girl". The only one you really missed that I have mentioned a bunch is "House Of Wax' which I really love. Anything that showcases McCartney was more than just a Beatle is a good thing to me. Let's hope they expand this channel and let people experience more great McCartney music !!

              Don't they have "Scared" and "New" from his album "New"?  I love those. I didn't see "Souvenir" on the lists    Just a few I'd love added and there are lots more.  Right off the top of my head I'd also love "See Your Sunshine," the Lazy Dynamite medley, "Hosanna," "Ballroom Dancing," "That Would Be Something," "Rinse the Raindrops," "Venus and Mars Are Alright Tonight," "Ebony and Ivory," "Cafe on the Left Bank," "Moorse Moose and the Grey Goose," "Girls School," 

                Oh. I see I repeated a few of yours. Also would like "The World Tonight"  "The Man" (though I don't understand its lyrics, it sparkles in parts),  "Follow Me," "My Love," "Junior's Farm," "Big Barn Bed," "Biker Like an Icon" "Wine Dark Sea" "Let Me Roll It" and though he didn't write it "Brown Eyed Handsome Man"

                 Also: "Two Magpies" "Wild Life" "Mumbo" "The Lovers That Never Were" 

                  SusyLuvsPaul wrote:

                  Don't they have "Scared" and "New" from his album "New"?  I love those. I didn't see "Souvenir" on the lists    Just a few I'd love added and there are lots more.  Right off the top of my head I'd also love "See Your Sunshine," the Lazy Dynamite medley, "Hosanna," "Ballroom Dancing," "That Would Be Something," "Rinse the Raindrops," "Venus and Mars Are Alright Tonight," "Ebony and Ivory," "Cafe on the Left Bank," "Moorse Moose and the Grey Goose," "Girls School," 

                  Thanks Susy.  Most of the songs on the current Spotify's "This is: Paul McCartney" are listed on my 2nd post here (the one I sent to "Fool".  To answer some of your questions above...Scared and Souvenir are not on their Playlist but the song "New" and Ebony and Ivory are.

                  To make it clear, the list I put together to start this Thread are not on Spotify's "This is: Paul McCartney" playlist.  My list is a wannabe that I would love Spotify to make into a Volume 2 to follow up the one they have now.  You might want to look it up on Spotify's Website under "This is: Paul McCartney.  As I said, the current one has all the Egypt Station songs since this is when this Playlist originated.

                  Counting the total # of songs on Spotify's playlist, they had about 68.  You are limited so even if Spotify considered a Volume 2, they probably wouldn't do more than between 60 and 70.  On my proposed Volume 2 list (see my 1st post here) I did include "That Would be Something and Venus & Mars.

                    Yankeefan2 wrote:

                    I like your choices and you listed some of my favorites that I have mentioned for years like "About You", "Dance Til We're High", "I Can Bet", "That Was Me", "What It is" and "Promise To You Girl". The only one you really missed that I have mentioned a bunch is "House Of Wax' which I really love. Anything that showcases McCartney was more than just a Beatle is a good thing to me. Let's hope they expand this channel and let people experience more great McCartney music !!

                    Thanks as always Yankeefan.  Great point about "House of Wax".  It is a great, great song and so much of a "hidden gem".  

                    The funny thing is that as I'm doing my bike rides twice a day (morning and evening) I'm already getting a little tired of their Playlist (at least some songs).  In looking at my list (68 songs totally different) I was vascilating over a few of my picks.  I wanted to stay with "deep cuts" but I was surprised that a couple of Paul's big hits were left off this current playlist like "With a Little Luck" and "Listen to What the Man Said".  I put "With a Little Luck" on because I'm a softee for Paul's vocal especially on the longer "album" version.  But Paul has so many very good to great songs you could easily not include those songs and put on other hidden gems like "I'm Carrying", Two Magpies, Big Barn Red or a great B-side like Daytime Nightime Suffering.  Come to think of it, I didn't include B-Sides or unreleased tracks in my 68.

                    You never know...someone from Spotify or even one of Paul's people might read it and think it's a good idea.  Even if they had a Volume 2 that was half as good as this list, I would love to have it available especially while I'm exercising and using ear phones for the great sound quality.

                      Daytime/Nighttime Suffering--Yes !! A long time favorite. I must confess I've never liked "House of Wax" and always skip it on "Memory Almost Full" listenings.

                        B J Conlee wrote:

                        Yankeefan2 wrote:

                        I like your choices and you listed some of my favorites that I have mentioned for years like "About You", "Dance Til We're High", "I Can Bet", "That Was Me", "What It is" and "Promise To You Girl". The only one you really missed that I have mentioned a bunch is "House Of Wax' which I really love. Anything that showcases McCartney was more than just a Beatle is a good thing to me. Let's hope they expand this channel and let people experience more great McCartney music !!

                        Thanks as always Yankeefan.  Great point about "House of Wax".  It is a great, great song and so much of a "hidden gem".  

                        The funny thing is that as I'm doing my bike rides twice a day (morning and evening) I'm already getting a little tired of their Playlist (at least some songs).  In looking at my list (68 songs totally different) I was vascilating over a few of my picks.  I wanted to stay with "deep cuts" but I was surprised that a couple of Paul's big hits were left off this current playlist like "With a Little Luck" and "Listen to What the Man Said".  I put "With a Little Luck" on because I'm a softee for Paul's vocal especially on the longer "album" version.  But Paul has so many very good to great songs you could easily not include those songs and put on other hidden gems like "I'm Carrying", Two Magpies, Big Barn Red or a great B-side like Daytime Nightime Suffering.  Come to think of it, I didn't include B-Sides or unreleased tracks in my 68.

                        You never know...someone from Spotify or even one of Paul's people might read it and think it's a good idea.  Even if they had a Volume 2 that was half as good as this list, I would love to have it available especially while I'm exercising and using ear phones for the great sound quality.

                        Two bike rides a day, very impressive -lol. An artist like McCartney who has 40 years of solo work really could use an additional playlist like you suggested. I tend to favor more the deep cut songs on a playlist but I do like the Wings songs you mentioned very much. As much as I like McCartney, I vary my musical selections when I run with many different artists.  I may listen to people like the Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, Bill Joel or someting totally different like Broadway tunes.  I need diversity when I run so I don't get bored like you mentioned. I will admit I have two "guilty pleasure" playlists which are "Hootie And The Blowfish" and "Meat Loaf" - lol.

                          I don't know why they think they will lose listeners because they are playing Deeper Cuts. 

                          To be on the safe side they could weave some expected songs like Maybe I'm Amazed then later there is "Junk" ... The same with Letting Go and later Love In Song comes on ... London Town and the Cafe On The Left Bank and I'm Carrying... etc... 

                          That's because I know and like so many Paul songs. 

                          I don't know how I would do if I was given the assignment of an artist that I knew very little of...

                          Spotify could be moderately surprised at those willing to listen to these songs, but may not want to risk it - in their view. Perhaps you could persuade them? 

                           

                            The_Fool wrote:

                            I don't know why they think they will lose listeners because they are playing Deeper Cuts. 

                            To be on the safe side they could weave some expected songs like Maybe I'm Amazed then later there is "Junk" ... The same with Letting Go and later Love In Song comes on ... London Town and the Cafe On The Left Bank and I'm Carrying... etc... 

                            That's because I know and like so many Paul songs. 

                            I don't know how I would do if I was given the assignment of an artist that I knew very little of...

                            Spotify could be moderately surprised at those willing to listen to these songs, but may not want to risk it - in their view. Perhaps you could persuade them? 

                             

                            Great points "Fool".

                              Yankeefan2 wrote:

                              I like your choices and you listed some of my favorites that I have mentioned for years like "About You", "Dance Til We're High", "I Can Bet", "That Was Me", "What It is" and "Promise To You Girl". The only one you really missed that I have mentioned a bunch is "House Of Wax' which I really love. Anything that showcases McCartney was more than just a Beatle is a good thing to me. Let's hope they expand this channel and let people experience more great McCartney music !!

                              Those are some of my favs too Yankeefan, especially Dance til Your High! Really hope they expand the the channel with some Deeper Cuts! 

                              Sirius had a Paul McCartney channel on a limited basis back around 2010 or 2011 maybe. That really was the ultimate Paul McCartney channel. Not only did they play deep deep Paul cuts, they also played the Fireman songs, from Rushes even, and I believe they played some of the Classical music. My mind was blown.  I used to sit in my car listening to my Sirius  radio for hours at night, just listening to music that I may never hear on the radio again, and wishing that the deep track Paul McCartney station would stay for good. 

                               

                                love2travel wrote:

                                Yankeefan2 wrote:

                                I like your choices and you listed some of my favorites that I have mentioned for years like "About You", "Dance Til We're High", "I Can Bet", "That Was Me", "What It is" and "Promise To You Girl". The only one you really missed that I have mentioned a bunch is "House Of Wax' which I really love. Anything that showcases McCartney was more than just a Beatle is a good thing to me. Let's hope they expand this channel and let people experience more great McCartney music !!

                                Those are some of my favs too Yankeefan, especially Dance til Your High! Really hope they expand the the channel with some Deeper Cuts! 

                                Sirius had a Paul McCartney channel on a limited basis back around 2010 or 2011 maybe. That really was the ultimate Paul McCartney channel. Not only did they play deep deep Paul cuts, they also played the Fireman songs, from Rushes even, and I believe they played some of the Classical music. My mind was blown.  I used to sit in my car listening to my Sirius  radio for hours at night, just listening to music that I may never hear on the radio again, and wishing that the deep track Paul McCartney station would stay for good. 

                                 

                                Wow, songs from "Rushes". Now that is what I call "deep cuts" -lol !!!