Home

Fab Fest in Charlotte, NC

493 views

15 posts

Last post 19/07/2021

Posted by Nancy R

      Original post

      They moved the festival to July 9-10. Instead of a 3-day festival, the convention is Sat. the 10th. The Fab Four perform Fri. night the 9th and then on the night of the 10th there is something called Tosco Music Beatles Tribute. Was able to change hotel reservations no problem. Now comes the hassle of figuring out what they owe me since what I've already paid is too much.I talked to a woman with the ticket company, and need to call back tomorrow to get it all straightened out. Leslie is going with me and now has to change her flights to and from Atlanta! Luckily it's Southwest. 

        Got everything straightened out and they immediately refunded my AMEX $104.14. This time I had left a voice mail and a man called me back. Our concert tickets were transferred over to the new dates with no additional charge, even though the cost had gone up slightly. 

        My first concert outing in almost 2 years will be June 5th to see the Beatles tribute band The Return in Dahlonega, GA. My son and I will both be fully vaccinated (he will be 2 weeks past his 2nd shot) Can't wait! (we have front row seats for this too, like The Fab Four concert in Charlotte) 

          Nancy R wrote:

          Got everything straightened out and they immediately refunded my AMEX $104.14. This time I had left a voice mail and a man called me back. Our concert tickets were transferred over to the new dates with no additional charge, even though the cost had gone up slightly. 

          My first concert outing in almost 2 years will be June 5th to see the Beatles tribute band The Return in Dahlonega, GA. My son and I will both be fully vaccinated (he will be 2 weeks past his 2nd shot) Can't wait! (we have front row seats for this too, like The Fab Four concert in Charlotte) 

          I live in Charlotte NC. I checked it and saw the concert will be at the Belk Theatre which is very nice, it is where they have their  Broadway tour shows. I live about a 15 minute drive from there and when I was working it was less than 10 minute walk.  The Belk Theater is part of the Bluementhal Performing Arts Center. As for close restaurants, my wife and I liked "Aria Tuscan Grill" which is a nice Italian place. (not cheap but very good). The other place was small Chinese place called "Soho Bistro" which we enjoyed and once again not cheap. We have not been there since the lockdown so hopefully they are still there and the quality has remained good.  Have a great time !!

            Yankeefan2 wrote:

            Nancy R wrote:

            Got everything straightened out and they immediately refunded my AMEX $104.14. This time I had left a voice mail and a man called me back. Our concert tickets were transferred over to the new dates with no additional charge, even though the cost had gone up slightly. 

            My first concert outing in almost 2 years will be June 5th to see the Beatles tribute band The Return in Dahlonega, GA. My son and I will both be fully vaccinated (he will be 2 weeks past his 2nd shot) Can't wait! (we have front row seats for this too, like The Fab Four concert in Charlotte) 

            I live in Charlotte NC. I checked it and saw the concert will be at the Belk Theatre which is very nice, it is where they have their  Broadway tour shows. I live about a 15 minute drive from there and when I was working it was less than 10 minute walk.  The Belk Theater is part of the Bluementhal Performing Arts Center. As for close restaurants, my wife and I liked "Aria Tuscan Grill" which is a nice Italian place. (not cheap but very good). The other place was small Chinese place called "Soho Bistro" which we enjoyed and once again not cheap. We have not been there since the lockdown so hopefully they are still there and the quality has remained good.  Have a great time !!

            Thanks! We probably will not want to spend that much on eating though! When I go to these kind of events, the faster the food, the better! 😂 You should come to the festival! I got a return call from the promoter and he was so nice! He said they would be emailing our tickets a week before for the actual festival which is on Saturday the 10th from 10 am - 5 pm. Already have our new concert tickets for Friday and Saturday night. They moved them from the Knight Theater to the larger Belk Theater. We still have front row for The Fab Four! 

            https://fabfestcharlotte.org/

            box office: 704-372-1000

              Nancy R wrote:

              Yankeefan2 wrote:
              Nancy R wrote:

              Got everything straightened out and they immediately refunded my AMEX $104.14. This time I had left a voice mail and a man called me back. Our concert tickets were transferred over to the new dates with no additional charge, even though the cost had gone up slightly. 

              My first concert outing in almost 2 years will be June 5th to see the Beatles tribute band The Return in Dahlonega, GA. My son and I will both be fully vaccinated (he will be 2 weeks past his 2nd shot) Can't wait! (we have front row seats for this too, like The Fab Four concert in Charlotte) 

              I live in Charlotte NC. I checked it and saw the concert will be at the Belk Theatre which is very nice, it is where they have their  Broadway tour shows. I live about a 15 minute drive from there and when I was working it was less than 10 minute walk.  The Belk Theater is part of the Bluementhal Performing Arts Center. As for close restaurants, my wife and I liked "Aria Tuscan Grill" which is a nice Italian place. (not cheap but very good). The other place was small Chinese place called "Soho Bistro" which we enjoyed and once again not cheap. We have not been there since the lockdown so hopefully they are still there and the quality has remained good.  Have a great time !!

              Thanks! We probably will not want to spend that much on eating though! When I go to these kind of events, the faster the food, the better! 😂 You should come to the festival! I got a return call from the promoter and he was so nice! He said they would be emailing our tickets a week before for the actual festival which is on Saturday the 10th from 10 am - 5 pm. Already have our new concert tickets for Friday and Saturday night. They moved them from the Knight Theater to the larger Belk Theater. We still have front row for The Fab Four! 

              https://fabfestcharlotte.org/

              box office: 704-372-1000

              You should be able to find places to eat quickly/cheaply like "Fuel Pizza" and others -lol.  My wife and I saw a "Beatle group" in 2017 or 2018 I believe when they were the special artist for the opening of the Charlotte Symphony season. I am not sure if it was the "Fab Four" but they were pretty good. We will be in Hilton Head that week visiting friend of mine from HS.  Knight's Theater is about half the size of the Belk Theater but being in a larger place does not make a difference if you are in the front row -lol.  We got tickets for Lindsey Buckingham in September at Knight's Theater.  Once again, enjoy !!!

                Yankeefan2 wrote:

                Nancy R wrote:
                Yankeefan2 wrote:
                Nancy R wrote:

                Got everything straightened out and they immediately refunded my AMEX $104.14. This time I had left a voice mail and a man called me back. Our concert tickets were transferred over to the new dates with no additional charge, even though the cost had gone up slightly. 

                My first concert outing in almost 2 years will be June 5th to see the Beatles tribute band The Return in Dahlonega, GA. My son and I will both be fully vaccinated (he will be 2 weeks past his 2nd shot) Can't wait! (we have front row seats for this too, like The Fab Four concert in Charlotte) 

                I live in Charlotte NC. I checked it and saw the concert will be at the Belk Theatre which is very nice, it is where they have their  Broadway tour shows. I live about a 15 minute drive from there and when I was working it was less than 10 minute walk.  The Belk Theater is part of the Bluementhal Performing Arts Center. As for close restaurants, my wife and I liked "Aria Tuscan Grill" which is a nice Italian place. (not cheap but very good). The other place was small Chinese place called "Soho Bistro" which we enjoyed and once again not cheap. We have not been there since the lockdown so hopefully they are still there and the quality has remained good.  Have a great time !!

                Thanks! We probably will not want to spend that much on eating though! When I go to these kind of events, the faster the food, the better! 😂 You should come to the festival! I got a return call from the promoter and he was so nice! He said they would be emailing our tickets a week before for the actual festival which is on Saturday the 10th from 10 am - 5 pm. Already have our new concert tickets for Friday and Saturday night. They moved them from the Knight Theater to the larger Belk Theater. We still have front row for The Fab Four! 

                https://fabfestcharlotte.org/

                box office: 704-372-1000

                You should be able to find places to eat quickly/cheaply like "Fuel Pizza" and others -lol.  My wife and I saw a "Beatle group" in 2017 or 2018 I believe when they were the special artist for the opening of the Charlotte Symphony season. I am not sure if it was the "Fab Four" but they were pretty good. We will be in Hilton Head that week visiting friend of mine from HS.  Knight's Theater is about half the size of the Belk Theater but being in a larger place does not make a difference if you are in the front row -lol.  We got tickets for Lindsey Buckingham in September at Knight's Theater.  Once again, enjoy !!!

                We will! The promoter called me last night about 8:45 (returning my voice mail) and he was no nice, explaining that they would email the one-day festival entrance tickets about a week beforehand. He said they moved to the larger theaters because they thought they would have to have social distancing, but now they don't! (so he hopes they can sell more tickets) 

                Will keep that pizza place in mind - thanks! 

                  OMG, Leslie and I had an absolute blast! Front row for The Fab Four was spectacular! We ran into Ardy (Paul) and Ron (John) in the lobby of our hotel after the show (where they were staying too) Ron gave us vinyl copies of their Christmas album HARK! (name is take-off on HELP!) where they sing Christmas songs, but in a Beatles style. (I already have the CD!) 

                  Rode the elevator up with Ardy, a sound guy and George Trullinger who plays Ed Sullivan in the "really big show." I first met him in 2018 on the Flower Power cruise. Posted this video on my FB page and Ardy replied:

                  Thanks Nancy, great seeing you again😎👍

                  Sorry, downloaded the video to Photobucket, but can't get it to post here as a video! 

                  Still photo:

                  Yankeefan, we ate dinner Friday at the Fuel Pizza which was right across the road from our hotel! But on Saturday they were closed ALL DAY! Someone said they didn't have enough staff!! 

                   

                    This is the same Paul & John, but different George & Ringo. 

                    https://youtu.be/LqJSgZtN1J4

                    Trying something else to post my video:

                    https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v319/njr/IMG_3346.MOV

                    Still doesn't work! ☹️

                     

                      Nancy R wrote:

                      OMG, Leslie and I had an absolute blast! Front row for The Fab Four was spectacular! We ran into Ardy (Paul) and Ron (John) in the lobby of our hotel after the show (where they were staying too) Ron gave us vinyl copies of their Christmas album HARK! (name is take-off on HELP!) where they sing Christmas songs, but in a Beatles style. (I already have the CD!) 

                      Rode the elevator up with Ardy, a sound guy and George Trullinger who plays Ed Sullivan in the "really big show." I first met him in 2018 on the Flower Power cruise. Posted this video on my FB page and Ardy replied:

                      Thanks Nancy, great seeing you again😎👍

                      Sorry, downloaded the video to Photobucket, but can't get it to post here as a video! 

                      Still photo:

                       

                      Yankeefan, we ate dinner Friday at the Fuel Pizza which was right across the road from our hotel! But on Saturday they were closed ALL DAY! Someone said they didn't have enough staff!! 

                       

                      Sadly, I am not surprised to hear they were closed due to staff shortage, it has happened to quite a few places in NC. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the food and the city of Charlotte was a good place to have the "Fab Fest". I worked in building  right next to the Covention Center which is across the street from "Fuel Pizza". 

                      P.S. Did you stay at The Westin?

                        ^ No, stayed at the Holiday Inn on N. College St. The Belk Theater and Spirit Square were only 800-900ft. away (in opposite directions) It was perfect! We had lunch at Jimmy John's on Saturday. It was right nearby too.

                        There is another Fuel Pizza about 2 miles from where all this was - maybe that's the one you had in mind. 

                        Anyway, a splendid time was had by all! I even won the trivia contest and got all 4 of the Beatles-themed socks plus a Rubber Soul mug! In order to qualify for one of the 4 spots they asked what were the Beatles birthdays. Of course I rattled them off easily. (month, day & year) The guy running the thing about freaked out! 😂

                          Nancy R wrote:

                          ^ No, stayed at the Holiday Inn on N. College St. The Belk Theater and Spirit Square were only 800-900ft. away (in opposite directions) It was perfect! We had lunch at Jimmy John's on Saturday. It was right nearby too.

                          There is another Fuel Pizza about 2 miles from where all this was - maybe that's the one you had in mind. 

                          Anyway, a splendid time was had by all! I even won the trivia contest and got all 4 of the Beatles-themed socks plus a Rubber Soul mug! In order to qualify for one of the 4 spots they asked what were the Beatles birthdays. Of course I rattled them off easily. (month, day & year) The guy running the thing about freaked out! 😂

                          Gotcha.  Congrats on the trivia win. It is funny how people running trivia don't get how good some people are at it when it comes to something they love.

                          Funny story. A few years ago while attending the US Open (tennis) they had a trivia contest before they opened the gates for the day session. The guys running it were two former pros  (Jensen brothers) and TV announcer. The prize was two free tickets to the women's finals the following week and the guys running it said the question was hard (lol) and may take some hints to get. I am pretty close to them and they ask the question which was "What  player won the US Open title on three different surfaces? (clay, grass, hard court)". I shout out the answer immediately which was Jimmy Connors and they were stunned -lol. BTW - the women's final was not a great match but it was cool being there !!

                            Yankeefan2 wrote:

                            Nancy R wrote:

                            ^ No, stayed at the Holiday Inn on N. College St. The Belk Theater and Spirit Square were only 800-900ft. away (in opposite directions) It was perfect! We had lunch at Jimmy John's on Saturday. It was right nearby too.

                            There is another Fuel Pizza about 2 miles from where all this was - maybe that's the one you had in mind. 

                            Anyway, a splendid time was had by all! I even won the trivia contest and got all 4 of the Beatles-themed socks plus a Rubber Soul mug! In order to qualify for one of the 4 spots they asked what were the Beatles birthdays. Of course I rattled them off easily. (month, day & year) The guy running the thing about freaked out! 😂

                            Gotcha.  Congrats on the trivia win. It is funny how people running trivia don't get how good some people are at it when it comes to something they love.

                            Funny story. A few years ago while attending the US Open (tennis) they had a trivia contest before they opened the gates for the day session. The guys running it were two former pros  (Jensen brothers) and TV announcer. The prize was two free tickets to the women's finals the following week and the guys running it said the question was hard (lol) and may take some hints to get. I am pretty close to them and they ask the question which was "What  player won the US Open title on three different surfaces? (clay, grass, hard court)". I shout out the answer immediately which was Jimmy Connors and they were stunned -lol. BTW - the women's final was not a great match but it was cool being there !!

                            That's great you knew that. Reminds me of 2011 when I was on a Beatles tour near the tow path where they filmed Ringo's segment in AHDN where he meets the young boy. Our guide says "Does anyone know what famous musician was in the audience of the concert scene in AHDN?" Before he can even finish the question I yell out "Phil Collins!" 😂  Phil was 13 years old then. 

                              Joey Molland of Badfinger. They did Come And Get It, Baby Blue, Day After Day and No Matter What. Prior to concert he did a short interview with Q&A.

                               

                               

                                "Baby Blue" is my favorite Badfinger song and I remembered not to reply with a picture for once -lmao !!

                                  Yankeefan2 wrote:

                                  "Baby Blue" is my favorite Badfinger song and I remembered not to reply with a picture for once -lmao !!

                                  😂 They talked about how Baby Blue was used at the series finale of Breaking Bad. Joey said his phone blew up with texts! Pete Ham wrote it, so I don't know if Joey got anything out of all the new downloads of the song. 

                                  The song experienced a resurgence of popularity in 2013 when it was featured in the television program Breaking Bad during the closing scene of the series finale.[7] Online streams increased in popularity immediately following the broadcast. According to Nielsen Soundscan, 5,300 downloads were purchased the night of the broadcast,[8] and the song appeared on the Billboard Digital Songs chart at #32 the week ending October 19, 2013.[9] Joey Molland, the last surviving member of the classic line-up of Badfinger, took to Twitter to express his excitement at the song's use in the finale[10] and subsequently began to retweet news articles about the song's usage in the finale. It became a top-selling song on iTunes following the broadcast. As a result, the song charted in the UK for the first time, reaching #73. It also charted at #35 in Ireland.[11]