Since "Everything Paul" seems to be slowing down, I thought I would revive the discussion of a much needed (in my opinion) Paul McCartney Solo/Post Beatles' Anthology. Yes Paul has had several Career Spanning Compilations and Greatest Hits packages but I think they are generally weak relative to the overall strength of Paul's Entire Discography. Here they are up to this point:
Wingspan Hits and History 2001 - While this was pretty good, it only goes to the early 80's. I like the fact that it was divided into Hits and History, but Paul's career has been great over the last 40 years which is not covered at all.
Wings Greatest 1978 - This was strictly a 70's "Hits" collection and it has serious omissions.
All the Best 1987- Again a glorified greatest hits collection and only goes to 1984.
Pure McCartney 2016 - The most expansive Compilation to Date but it still doesn't include Egypt Station, McCartney 3 and doesn't contain any songs from Flowers in the Dirt and only one from Driving Rain. The other problem is that it includes very little top notch great deep album cuts, B-Sides, Unreleased songs or great rare 'live" tracks.
In summary, Paul needs a current and full Antholody that includes great songs from his entire career. Too many of these compilations have glaring gaps and they don't cover his full career including great "deep tracks" from albums, great B-Sides Unreleased tracks and finally great rare "live" tracks that are better in some cases than the originals from released albums.
The best way to cover Paul's enitre career is doing this Anthology by DECADE. Because Paul was so prolific in the 70's, I think he would need to have 2 CD's from this Decade. This is where I'm going to start:
70's Disc 1
1. Oh Woman, Oh Why - B-side of Another Day (Rarely Heard on American Radio)
2. Maybe I'm Amazed - Still like the original album version the best
3. Every Night - Still like theoriginal album version the best
4. Junk - great track and rarely played on the radio
5. Give Ireland Back to the Irish - great rocker and one of Paul's early singles but promply banned from being played on the radio. Great vocals by Paul
6. Too Many People - Ram
7. Dear Boy - Ram
8. Eat At Home - Ram
9. A Love for You - Unreleased until Ram 2012 Remaster and Bonus Track
10. Dear Friend - Wildlife
11. Tomorrow - Wildlive (Along with Dear Freind the best song on Wildlife_
12. Little Lamb Dragonfly - Red Rose Speedway
13. Single Pigeon -Red Rose Speedway
14. My Love (Live track taken from Rockshow in 1976 (More bluesy and way Better than original album and single)
15. Country Dreamer (B-Side to Helen Wheels)
16. The Mess - live at the Hague (B-Side to the single My Love)
17. Best Friend - live in Antwerp (unreleased until 2018 Red Rose Speedway Remaster
18. Helen Wheels - Band on the Run (US Edition)
19. Bluebird (Live version on Rock Show 1976 (great version)
20. Band on the Run (live version from Rock Show 1976 (another great version that doesn't duplicate what you always hear on the radio)
21.Let Me Roll It (live version from Rock Sow 1976 (just the rocking version and MUCH SHORTER and not overblown the way Paul's been doing on his tours over the last 10 years)
22. 1985 - Great live version from 2010 in Argentina (this excludes the Band on the Run bit AT THE END you always hear on the radio or on the original album vrersion. It's shorter which is good and contains Rusty Anderson's great solo guitar at the end and Paul's singing at this point was still top nothch.
To Be Continued with Disc 2 starting with launch of Venus and Mars