Home

Paul can't pick a favorite song from this century

12 posts

Last post 14/06/2022

Posted by oobu24

Original post

When asked to pick a favorite song from this century, no Beatles or Wings, he really gets flabbergasted. No prepared answer huh Paulie? Around the 3:00 mark.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/31BbWtvKzOVRmKhge8ROVW?si=103a6d2yTuqTvtaYnU316A&utm_source=copy-link&nd=1

oobu24 wrote:

When asked to pick a favorite song from this century, no Beatles or Wings, he really gets flabbergasted. No prepared answer huh Paulie? Around the 3:00 mark.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/31BbWtvKzOVRmKhge8ROVW?si=103a6d2yTuqTvtaYnU316A&utm_source=copy-link&nd=1

Yeah, sad he couldn't come up with anything from the past 22 years! What do you think he should have said? 

NJR wrote:

oobu24 wrote:

Yeah, sad he couldn't come up with anything from the past 22 years! What do you think he should have said? 

He has so much great music over that time span I wouldn't be able to pick either! I have some suggestions for him though:

About You, Your Loving Flame, Jenny Wren, English Tea, Riding to Vanity Fair, That Was Me, The End of the End, Why So Blue, Sing the Changes, Traveling Light, My Valentine, Early Days, Hosanna, I Don't Know, Happy With You, Dominoes, The Kiss of Venus, Seize the Day, When Winter Comes, and a lot more.

It was a decent interview. The guys asked him some different questions & not just the normal ones. Paul seemed to be thrown by a few of them. lol

I wonder what ever happened to the big robot he used for the Appreciate video?

NJR wrote:

oobu24 wrote:

It is sad and in a way I think it shows he really does not think that highly of his solo work. If I was him, I would have said a song like "Too Much Rain" which is so beautiful.

oobu24 wrote:

It was a decent interview. The guys asked him some different questions & not just the normal ones. Paul seemed to be thrown by a few of them. lol

It shows that Paul needs to be in his "comfort" zone and fall back to talking about the Beatles/Lennon in interviews. When you can't pick a favorite song of yours from this century that is borderline pathetic. My goodness, would it have been that tough for him to say one of the songs he is actually playing in his set list from this century on this tour -lol.

Yankeefan2 wrote:

oobu24 wrote:

It shows that Paul needs to be in his "comfort" zone and fall back to talking about the Beatles/Lennon in interviews. When you can't pick a favorite song of yours from this century that is borderline pathetic. My goodness, would it have been that tough for him to say one of the songs he is actually playing in his set list from this century on this tour -lol.

Or he could have even just said there's a bunch of good songs on my most recent album, Mc III. 

He should put the songs in a jar and pick one out and say yeah that's the one. 

The_Fool wrote:

He should put the songs in a jar and pick one out and say yeah that's the one. 

Yeah, get his staff at MPL to get right on that and keep it handy for all interviews! 😂

Not surprising Paul can't pick a song from this century, since the best of his work was in the 20th century. That's more than enough to cement his reputation as one of the greatest songwriters. I've loved his work from day one, but for me Chaos and Creation was his last really memorable album of new material. The last few albums have gone straight in one ear and out the other. Every musician that has ever lived has had below-par work, even the greatest, and Paul is no different. But it doesn't matter - the sheer volume of his best work is amazing. 

dirkmcquickly wrote:

Not surprising Paul can't pick a song from this century, since the best of his work was in the 20th century. That's more than enough to cement his reputation as one of the greatest songwriters. I've loved his work from day one, but for me Chaos and Creation was his last really memorable album of new material. The last few albums have gone straight in one ear and out the other. Every musician that has ever lived has had below-par work, even the greatest, and Paul is no different. But it doesn't matter - the sheer volume of his best work is amazing. 

Your favorite song does not have to be one of your best songs, it is just a personal favorite.  To me it was shocking that he could not come up with something like "My Valentine" which was written for his wife in this century -lol.

Yankeefan2 wrote:

dirkmcquickly wrote:

Your favorite song does not have to be one of your best songs, it is just a personal favorite.  To me it was shocking that he could not come up with something like "My Valentine" which was written for his wife in this century -lol.

That's true. Maybe that's his problem...there are too many to choose from. Probably why he won't change the setlist too. lol. He could ask any of us though!