Home

Little Lamb Dragonfly

5 posts

Last post 03/09/2022

Posted by John Mackintosh

Original post

I have been listening to this song recently, on both RRS as well as the "work up" track from the bonus on the RRS deluxe edition from 2018. An article that came out June  in the Guardian for his 80th birthday rated the song 15th out of what the author sees as his best 30 post-Fabs songs.  Writer of the article, Alexis Petridis,  says it is "one of the loviest melodies McCartney has ever written." Superlatives follow-"utterly gorgeous, inexplicably moving. "  Wikipedia has someone callling it "haunting."  I have been a fan since the late 1960s and I recall when this song came I was baffled by the lyrics but found the melody beautiful but  at the same time conveying the emotion of sadness, unlike most of his songs.

I have never considered the lyrics the strong point either and Paul did not include it in his Lyrics book from last November.

So what in the heck does this song  mean to you?  I regret he didn't include it in his Working Classical CD from 1999 and would love to hear that melody with full orchestra   

John Mackintosh wrote:

I have been listening to this song recently, on both RRS as well as the "work up" track from the bonus on the RRS deluxe edition from 2018. An article that came out June  in the Guardian for his 80th birthday rated the song 15th out of what the author sees as his best 30 post-Fabs songs.  Writer of the article, Alexis Petridis,  says it is "one of the loviest melodies McCartney has ever written." Superlatives follow-"utterly gorgeous, inexplicably moving. "  Wikipedia has someone callling it "haunting."  I have been a fan since the late 1960s and I recall when this song came I was baffled by the lyrics but found the melody beautiful but  at the same time conveying the emotion of sadness, unlike most of his songs.

I have never considered the lyrics the strong point either and Paul did not include it in his Lyrics book from last November.

So what in the heck does this song  mean to you?  I regret he didn't include it in his Working Classical CD from 1999 and would love to hear that melody with full orchestra   

Agree 100% John.  Little Lamb Dragonfly along with Single Pidgeon are 2 of Paul's greatest Deep Cuts in Paul's Discography.  The problem with the original Red Rose Speedway was the 2nd half.  It should have been what Paul wanted all along...a Double Album.  Paul had so many up-tempo and Rock oriented songs that were missing from the original RRS.

John Mackintosh wrote:

Little Lamb Dragonfly is probably my favorite song by Paul, I love it. It's beautiful, but in a haunting kind of way, as you mentioned. Happy but with a melancholy tinge. It makes me think of the countryside, and I think has a little bit of a Celtic feel to it too.

B J Conlee wrote:

John Mackintosh wrote:

Agree 100% John.  Little Lamb Dragonfly along with Single Pidgeon are 2 of Paul's greatest Deep Cuts in Paul's Discography.  The problem with the original Red Rose Speedway was the 2nd half.  It should have been what Paul wanted all along...a Double Album.  Paul had so many up-tempo and Rock oriented songs that were missing from the original RRS.

I agree, especially after getting the deluxe version of RRS, something I had held off doing until just this summer as I have mainly purchased the two disc versions.  It does work much better on the double album, as do all the other songs.

McCall wrote:

John Mackintosh wrote:

Little Lamb Dragonfly is probably my favorite song by Paul, I love it. It's beautiful, but in a haunting kind of way, as you mentioned. Happy but with a melancholy tinge. It makes me think of the countryside, and I think has a little bit of a Celtic feel to it too.

I, too, love that Celtic feel,